Mass in circular motion with friction. Find max height.

In summary: When centripetal force is taken into account, the acceleration averages -3g/2 so approx height reached would be 7.25 mIn summary, the mass reaches the top of the quarter circle at a height of 7.499m if there is no friction, but if there is friction, the mass only reaches the top of the quarter circle at a height of 7.12m.
demenius

Homework Statement

A mass starts from rest at the upper rim of a semi-circle of radius 8m. In the bottom of this there is a region of size 1m which has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.5. What is the maximum height that the mass reaches after passing through this region once?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/circularmotionfriction.png/"

Homework Equations

Note: arc length
∫cos(ax)dx = 1/a sin(ax)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start. :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
demenius said:

Homework Statement

A mass starts from rest at the upper rim of a semi-circle of radius 8m. In the bottom of this there is a region of size 1m which has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.5. What is the maximum height that the mass reaches after passing through this region once?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/circularmotionfriction.png/"

Homework Equations

Note: arc length
∫cos(ax)dx = 1/a sin(ax)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start. :S

You could start by working out how fast the mass would be traveling through the bottom of the semicircle if there was no friction, and then contemplate what the friction might do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how to calculate the speed at the bottom but the friction part is before the bottom and I cannot figure out how to calculate the speed just before the friction. I believe the arc length from the top to the friction section is 4∏ - 0.5m. But do not know where to go from there.

demenius said:
I know how to calculate the speed at the bottom but the friction part is before the bottom and I cannot figure out how to calculate the speed just before the friction. I believe the arc length from the top to the friction section is 4∏ - 0.5m. But do not know where to go from there.

OK so you know how to calculate it, but have you actually calculated it?

Suppose that instead of a semi circle, we had a quarter circle down, a 1 metre flat, then a quarter circle up.
Without friction, the mass would get to the top of the second quarter circle, having covered the flat at a constant speed.
How high would it reach if the 1m flat had friction? only half way up? 1/4 the way up? 98% of the way up?

I suspect the underlying assumption here is that the 1m section is only a small fraction of the semi circle, with no significant rise and fall [change in PE]
The key factor to be taken into account is that the reaction force will be greater than the weight of the mass, due to the required centripetal force/acceleration, so the energy lost to friction will be more than you might otherwise expect - certainly more than the example above, with the flat bottom section.

The Speed at the bottom would be √(2gR) = 12.53. Assuming the frictional part was flat the velocity after the the frictional part would be 12.12. And the max height would be 7.499m. But if the frictional part was not flat and was part of the semi circle then I am lost on how to do it.

demenius said:
The Speed at the bottom would be √(2gR) = 12.53. Assuming the frictional part was flat the velocity after the the frictional part would be 12.12. And the max height would be 7.499m. But if the frictional part was not flat and was part of the semi circle then I am lost on how to do it.

I don't get such a big reduction in speed. The acceleration is -g/2 since the coefficient of friction is only 0.5.

When centripetal force is taken into account, the acceleration averages -3g/2 so approx height reached would be 7.25 m

Half a metre each side of the bottom of the slope means each extreme is about 1.5 cm above the lowest point - that is 1.5 in 800 or a very small percentage difference, so I think is could be ignored.
Perhaps of more significance is the reduction in centripetal force due to reduced speed, meaning the speed will not be reduced so much → a slightly higher final position.

Related to Mass in circular motion with friction. Find max height.

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of an object moving in a circular path with friction?

The maximum height of an object in circular motion with friction can be calculated using the formula:
h = (v2)/(2g)
where v is the velocity of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the role of friction in circular motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in circular motion as it is responsible for providing the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path. Without friction, the object would continue to move in a straight line and not follow a circular path.

3. How does friction affect the maximum height in circular motion?

Friction affects the maximum height in circular motion by reducing the velocity of the object. This decrease in velocity results in a shorter distance travelled by the object, leading to a lower maximum height.

4. Can the maximum height in circular motion with friction be greater than the initial height?

No, the maximum height in circular motion with friction cannot be greater than the initial height. This is because friction always acts in the direction opposite to the motion, causing the object to lose energy and decrease in height.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum height in circular motion with friction?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the maximum height in circular motion with friction. However, a heavier object would require a greater centripetal force to maintain its circular motion, resulting in a higher velocity and therefore a higher maximum height.