Mass of Oxygen Withdrawn from Tank at 28.0 atm

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Ideal gas law to determine the mass of oxygen withdrawn from a tank at a given pressure reading. The key points are that the volume of the tank is constant and the pressure given is the gauge pressure, not the actual pressure. It is important to use the actual pressures in the calculations for accuracy.
hot2moli
The pressure gauge on a tank registers the gauge pressure, which is the difference between the interior and exterior pressure. When the tank is full of oxygen (O2), it contains 15.0 kg of the gas at a gauge pressure of 41.0 atm. Determine the mass of oxygen that has been withdrawn from the tank when the pressure reading is 28.0 atm. Assume the temperature of the tank remains constant.

I though you could use the Ideal gas law, converting 15kg into moles, but would the volume be considered constant here? Because if not, then I do not see how you could apply it to PV= nRT.

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume is the volume of the tank itself. So, yes. The volume is constant. What isn't constant here (other than the pressure of course) is the number of mols of oxygen.

Last edited:
so I did P/n = P2/n2
and I am not getting the right answer.
P= 41atm
n= (15000g)/(16g/mol)
P2= 28
and then I solve for n2 multiplying by 16g/mol to get mass of oxygen?

WHERE I HAVE I GONE WRONG? :( PLEASE HELP!

Remember that 41atm is the gauge pressure, not the actual pressure.

I'm sorry.. I still am not understanding...25atm wouldn't be the actual than either, but can't you make them proportional still because it's the same system?...and even if it's not the actual P, wouldn't you just add 1atm to it to account for air pressure?

hot2moli said:
I'm sorry.. I still am not understanding...25atm wouldn't be the actual than either, but can't you make them proportional still because it's the same system?...and even if it's not the actual P, wouldn't you just add 1atm to it to account for air pressure?

No, the proportionality will only hole for the actual pressures, since the addition of 1 atm to the numerator and denominator of P_1/P_2 will not give the same fraction. i.e.:

[tex]\frac{P_{gauge 1}}{P_{guage2}}=/=\frac{P_1}{P_2}[/tex]

Work with the actual pressures.

Related to Mass of Oxygen Withdrawn from Tank at 28.0 atm

1. How is the mass of oxygen withdrawn from a tank at 28.0 atm calculated?

The mass of oxygen withdrawn from a tank at 28.0 atm can be calculated by using the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT. The variables needed for this calculation are the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of the oxygen gas.

2. Why is the pressure of the tank important in determining the mass of oxygen withdrawn?

The pressure of the tank is important because it directly affects the volume of the oxygen gas. As pressure increases, the volume decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is crucial in calculating the mass of oxygen withdrawn using the ideal gas law.

3. What is the significance of 28.0 atm in this calculation?

28.0 atm is the pressure of the tank, which is needed in the ideal gas law equation to calculate the mass of oxygen withdrawn. It is important to use the correct pressure value to ensure accurate results.

4. How does the temperature of the oxygen gas affect the mass withdrawn from the tank?

The temperature of the oxygen gas plays a crucial role in determining the mass withdrawn from the tank. As temperature increases, the volume of the gas also increases. This means that at a higher temperature, the same amount of gas will take up more space, resulting in a lower mass being withdrawn from the tank.

5. Is the mass of oxygen withdrawn from the tank at 28.0 atm affected by the size of the tank?

No, the size of the tank does not affect the mass of oxygen withdrawn as long as the pressure remains constant at 28.0 atm. The size of the tank only affects the volume of the gas, which is already accounted for in the ideal gas law equation.