Mass on 2 ropes, looking for tension

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block suspended by two ropes at different angles. The equations of F=ma and sum of tension vector components are used to find the tension in each rope. The solutions involve solving for the components of the tension forces based on the given angles and using numerical values for cosine and sine functions.
csinger1

Homework Statement

A block of mass 3.3 kg is suspended by two ropes as shown in the picture below.
The angle that the left rope makes with the horizontal is q= 40 degrees.
The angle that the right rope makes with the horizontal is q= 30 degrees.

What is the tension in the left rope?
A. T1 = 16.5 N

B. T1= 22.4 N

C. T1= 29.8 N
What is the tension in the right rope?

A. T2 = 26.4 N

B. T2 = 30.2 N

C. T2 = 33.1 N

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated each of the T vectors into their x and y components and was planning on using the sine of the given angles in order to solve for the tension. I keep coming up with something like T=mg/sin30, but the answer that I get for this is nowhere near any of the options. I know I am probably missing something so simple, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to look at the sum of the tension vector components in both directions. Write down your 2 equations (one in the x direction and the other in the y direction). What do you get?

In the x direction I came up with T2x-T1x=0
In the y direction I came up with T2y+T1y=mg
I found mg=32.34
Not sure where to go from here though.

Your equations are correct. Now just solve for the components of the tension forces based on the given angles as a function of the tension and angle. You know that T1 makes an angle of 40 degrees with the horixontal, so T1x = T1*?

Etcetera.

Ok, so T1x=T1*cos40? The problem with this is that I end up with 2 variables and I'm not sure how to solve for either one of them with the given info. It seems like the 32.34 should be worked in somewhere but being that it's the sum of T2y and T1y, I'm not sure how to apply it.

Cos 40, sin 40,cos 30, sin 30...they all have numerical values..plug them in...then solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns (T1 and T2) by a method of your choosing.

Thanks for the help! Still working out the details but it is good to know I'm on the right track.

Related to Mass on 2 ropes, looking for tension

1. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or string when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is tension related to mass?

Tension is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as the mass of an object increases, so does the tension in the ropes holding it.

3. How is tension calculated in a system with 2 ropes?

In a system with 2 ropes, the tension can be calculated by using the formula: T = (m1 + m2) * g, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects attached to the ropes and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. How does the angle of the ropes affect tension?

The tension in a rope is affected by the angle at which it is pulled. The greater the angle, the higher the tension in the rope will be. This is because a greater angle requires more force to keep the object in equilibrium.

5. Are there any factors besides mass and angle that can affect tension in a system with 2 ropes?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect tension in a system with 2 ropes. These include the length and elasticity of the ropes, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Friction between the ropes and the objects they are attached to can also impact the tension.