Mass on a Rotating Parabolic Dish

In summary: In actuality they should be pointing outwards.In summary, a 3 kg block is at rest relative to a rotating dish which has a coefficient of static friction of 0.66. The maximum allowable velocity of the block is determined to be v = 2 m/s.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

A 3-kg block is at rest relative to a parabolic dish which rotates at a constant rate about a vertical axis. Knowing that the coefficient of static friction is 0.66 and that r = 2 m, determine the maximum allowable velocity v of the block.

Picture attached below

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by drawing a FBD on the mass:
W: Weight, pointing vertically downwards
N: Normal, pointing perpendicular to the surface
f: Friction, pointing 90 degrees clockwise from N.

From there I calculated the angle from the origin:
y = (2^2)/4 = 1
Θ = tan^-1(1/2), with the adjacent arm being 2, vertical arm being 1, and the hypotenuse being sqrt5

Then I determined that the net force should be horizontally pointed inwards, with the formula: F = mv^2/r

So Fy is 0, meaning:
(3)(9.81) = 0.66N[1/sqrt(5)] + N[2/sqrt(5)]
--> N = (29.43sqrt[5])/(2.66)

Now for Fx:
[3v^2]/2 = N[1/sqrt(5)] - 0.66N[2/sqrt(5)]
The problem is this resolves to be:
[3v^2]/2 = -3.54...
which has no solution.

So, what am I supposed to do from here?

Attachments

• Problem 2.png
    Problem 2.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its rotating so I think there should be centripital force maybe ?

Arman777 said:
Its rotating so I think there should be centripital force maybe ?

Wouldn't it just be the net force, mv^2/r? Or would it be a fourth force?

İt would be the net force...Its really hard to undersatnd from your work.Did you add it ? oh ok I saw it

Arman777 said:
İt would be the net force...Its really hard to undersatnd from your work.Did you add it ?
Yeah, that's how I ended up with an indeterminate equation (I would have had to square root a negative).

I pointed the centripetal force horizontally to the left, and attempted to solve it this way (N was calculated by setting the net force in y equal to 0):
[3v^2]/2 = N[1/sqrt(5)] - 0.66N[2/sqrt(5)]
The problem is this resolves to be:
[3v^2]/2 = -3.54...

RoyalFlush100 said:
y = (2^2)/2 = 1

Where did you get this equation for y? Check the source.

gneill said:
Where did you get this equation for y? Check the source.
Sorry, I meant to write 2^2/4, but that would actually equal 1.

Do you know the answer ?

RoyalFlush100 said:
y = (2^2)/4 = 1
Θ = tan^-1(1/2), with the adjacent arm being 2, vertical arm being 1, and the hypotenuse being sqrt5

Of what use is the angle from the origin?

More interesting than the angle of the line from the origin to the block would be the local slope of the dish where the block is resting. The problem will then look more like a block resting on an inclined plane with various forces acting. How might you determine the slope and hence the angle of incline?

Arman777 said:
Do you know the answer ?
No.

gneill said:
Of what use is the angle from the origin?

More interesting than the angle of the line from the origin to the block would be the local slope of the dish where the block is resting. The problem will then look more like a block resting on an inclined plane with various forces acting. How might you determine the slope and hence the angle of incline?
Differentiate y, with respect to r:
dy/dr = r/2
Then with r being two, that would imply a 45 degree angle.

So, knowing that, would my solution otherwise be the same, just using 45 degrees instead? Or am I still missing something?

RoyalFlush100 said:
Differentiate y, with respect to r:
dy/dr = r/2

So, knowing that, would my solution otherwise be the same, just using 45 degrees instead? Or am I still missing something?

I agree I think its true

RoyalFlush100 said:
No.Differentiate y, with respect to r:
dy/dr = r/2

I kind of phased out looking at your solution after I noticed the angle issue. But essentially you need to resolve the centripital and gravitational forces into normal and slope-wise components to continue.

Hint: If you work in the non-inertial frame of reference of the rotating dish you're allowed to speak of centrifugal force as though it were an actual force and use it in your FBD.

upload_2017-2-5_16-4-49.png

Last edited:
gneill said:
I kind of phased out looking at your solution after I noticed the angle issue. But essentially you need to resolve the centripital and gravitational forces into normal and slope-wise components to continue.

Hint: If you work in the non-inertial frame of reference of the rotating dish you're allowed to speak of centrifugal force as though it were an actual force and use it in your FBD.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/112609
Okay, I'm still having difficulty with this. So, what I did was rotate the coordinate system 45 degrees (CCW).

Now, on your diagram I'm mostly confused as to how the Normal and Frictional forces were resolved into one centrifugal force, unless I misunderstood the diagram.

Because in the direction of the tangent, there's no net force, which implies that Fc = W. From there, both W and Fc point in direction of the net force (along the normal axis) which implies:
[3v^2]/[2] = [1/sqrt(2)][2*3*9.81]
From there, v can be solved to be 5.27 m/s, but that was marked as wrong.

So what am I supposed to do with the contact forces?

My diagram does not include the friction force, only the two "external" forces due to gravity and rotation. It shows how they resolve into a net external force. I suppose I should have made that clear. Sorry about that.

You need to resolve that net force into normal force and force along the surface (incline), then include friction (which requires that normal force component) to write the net force acting along the slope.

gneill said:
My diagram does not include the friction force, only the two "external" forces due to gravity and rotation. It shows how they resolve into a net external force. I suppose I should have made that clear. Sorry about that.

You need to resolve that net force into normal force and force along the surface (incline), then include friction (which requires that normal force component) to write the net force acting along the slope.
I still don't know what to do, from here. I'm still confused about the centripetal force (Fc). Is it a result of the other 3 forces (normal, friction, gravity) or is it a 4th independent force resulting from the rotation?

RoyalFlush100 said:
I still don't know what to do, from here. I'm still confused about the centripetal force (Fc). Is it a result of the other 3 forces (normal, friction, gravity) or is it a 4th independent force resulting from the rotation?
When you move to the rotating frame of reference you can use the centrifugal force in the same way that you use the gravitational force. The only difference is that the centrifugal force is position dependent (radial distance from the axis of rotation). In my figure I've drawn in the gravitational and centrifugal forces that act on the block at its current location. It's up to you to break them down into normal and slope-wise components.

RoyalFlush100 said:
Centripetal force is just the radial component of the resultant force. It is not an additional force.

Edit: on the other hand, using the block's non-inertial frame, you have centrifugal force acting like an applied force (and a zero resultant for equilibrium).

Last edited:
gneill said:
When you move to the rotating frame of reference you can use the centrifugal force in the same way that you use the gravitational force. The only difference is that the centrifugal force is position dependent (radial distance from the axis of rotation). In my figure I've drawn in the gravitational and centrifugal forces that act on the block at its current location. It's up to you to break them down into normal and slope-wise components.
I'm really confused right now. To project Fc and Fg onto tangental/normal components, you'd just multiply it by 1/sqrt(2) (sin or cos 45) which will give both the tangental and normal components for both forces (and then pointing in their respective directions).

But then, I still don't see how the frictional force comes back into play.

RoyalFlush100 said:
What direction will friction act? Normal to the slope or parallel to it? What has to occur for the block to move?

gneill said:
What direction will friction act? Normal to the slope or parallel to it? What has to occur for the block to move?
It'd be parallel to the slope.

RoyalFlush100 said:
I'm really confused right now. To project Fc and Fg onto tangental/normal components, you'd just multiply it by 1/sqrt(2) (sin or cos 45) which will give both the tangental and normal components for both forces (and then pointing in their respective directions).

You are asked for the maximum speed of the block. What assumption does that allow you to make about the relationship between the normal force and the frictional force

haruspex said:
You are asked for the maximum speed of the block. What assumption does that allow you to make about the relationship between the normal force and the frictional force
Uh, no idea, other than that N = 0.66f where N is normal and f is friction

RoyalFlush100 said:
Uh, no idea, other than that N = 0.66f where N is normal and f is friction
Right. You know the total normal force, so that gives you the frictional force. What is the sum of the tangential forces?

Edit: just noticed you have it backwards. I assume you meant f=0.66N.

haruspex said:
Right. You know the total normal force, so that gives you the frictional force. What is the sum of the tangential forces?
This is where I'm confused. As of right now I have:
-W/sqrt(2) + 0.66N = 0
But, I don't know what else comes into play here.

RoyalFlush100 said:
This is where I'm confused. As of right now I have:
-W/sqrt(2) + 0.66N = 0
But, I don't know what else comes into play here.
What about the tangential component of centrifugal force?

Edit: I am assuming you have elected to use the non-inertial frame.

Note that the problem is equivalent to one where you have a block on an incline with static friction and a horizontal force being applied to the block. You are to determine what the maximum force F can be before the block starts moving up the slope.

upload_2017-2-5_17-14-10.png

haruspex said:
What about the tangential component of centrifugal force?
Well that would be I guess: (mv^2/r)(1/sqrt(2)) acting in the same direction as the friction

Is that it, is it just about resolving it from here?

RoyalFlush100 said:
acting in the same direction as the friction
Friction acts to oppose relative motion of surfaces in contact. If the velocity is too great, which way will the block move?

Thank you guys so much, I finally got the answer. Sorry that took so long for me to figure out.

1. What is a rotating parabolic dish?

A rotating parabolic dish is a curved reflector shaped like a parabola that is able to reflect and focus electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves or microwaves, onto a single point. It is commonly used in satellite communication and radar systems.

2. How does a rotating parabolic dish work?

The parabolic shape of the dish allows for all incoming waves to be reflected and focused onto a single point, known as the focal point. The dish is able to rotate around its focal point, allowing it to scan a larger area and pick up signals from different directions.

3. What is the purpose of a mass on a rotating parabolic dish?

The mass on a rotating parabolic dish is used to balance the dish and keep it stable as it rotates. This is important for accurately capturing and focusing the electromagnetic waves onto the focal point.

4. How does the mass affect the rotation of the parabolic dish?

The mass of the rotating parabolic dish affects the speed and stability of its rotation. If the mass is too heavy, the dish may rotate slower and have difficulty tracking signals accurately. If the mass is too light, the dish may rotate too quickly and become unstable. Finding the right balance is essential for optimal performance.

5. What are the potential applications of a rotating parabolic dish with a mass?

A rotating parabolic dish with a mass has a wide range of applications, including satellite communication, radar systems, radio astronomy, and even solar energy collection. It is also used in various research fields, such as studying the universe and monitoring weather patterns.