Mass sliding down surface of a sphere

In summary, the problem involves a small mass sliding down a frictionless spherical surface and the question is asking for the speed of the particle at a specific position where it loses contact with the surface. The given answer choices are all in meters per second. The attempt at a solution involved using the conservation of energy equation and factoring in the cosine component of the angle. However, the missing acceleration of gravity (9.8) and a misinterpretation of the angle led to an incorrect answer.
Victorzaroni

Homework Statement

A small mass m slides down from rest at the top of a frictionless spherical surface of radius R=.5 meters. What is the speed of the particle at position x where it loses contact with the surface, and velocity makes an angle of θ=48.2 with the vertical?

The answer choices are:

(A) 1.28 m/s
(B) 1.82 m/s
(C) 1.93 m/s
(D) 2.36 m/s
(E) 2.58 m/s

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe start with PE1=PE2+KE, where h=2r, and then find the cosine component of the height when velocity is at that angle, to do: mg(2r)=(1/2)mv2+mg((cos48.2)+R), but that didn't work. I got .57, which is not even close to any of the choices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Victorzaroni! :smile:
Victorzaroni said:
I thought maybe start with PE1=PE2+KE, where h=2r, and then find the cosine component of the height when velocity is at that angle, to do: mg(2r)=(1/2)mv2+mg((cos48.2)+R), but that didn't work. I got .57, which is not even close to any of the choices.

I think you missed out the 9.8 :wink:

(also, read the question carefully about the angle)

Related to Mass sliding down surface of a sphere

1. How does the mass of the object affect its speed while sliding down a sphere?

The mass of the object has no effect on its speed while sliding down a sphere. According to the law of conservation of energy, the potential energy of the object at the top of the sphere is converted into kinetic energy as it slides down, regardless of its mass.

2. Does the radius of the sphere impact the speed of the mass?

Yes, the radius of the sphere does impact the speed of the mass. The larger the radius of the sphere, the longer the distance the mass has to travel and the faster it will be moving when it reaches the bottom.

3. What is the significance of the angle of the slope of the sphere?

The angle of the slope of the sphere affects the acceleration of the mass. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration, and the faster the mass will slide down the sphere. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the mass towards the center of the sphere.

4. How does the friction between the mass and the sphere's surface impact its motion?

The friction between the mass and the sphere's surface can slow down the speed of the mass as it slides down. If there is no friction, the mass will continue to slide at a constant speed due to the conservation of energy. However, if there is friction, some of the energy will be lost as heat, causing the mass to slow down.

5. Can the mass slide up a sphere?

No, the mass cannot slide up a sphere due to the force of gravity pulling it down. The only way for the mass to move up the sphere would be if there was an external force pushing it, such as a person or machine.