Mass-spring question (frequency and amplitude)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mass-spring system's frequency spectrum and how to calculate its width. The system vibrates at 10 Hz and its amplitude decreases by 1/e every 10 minutes. The question is in the context of a sensors course in robotics and a link is provided for reference. The solution involves using the formula Δf = f_o / Q, where f_o is the resonant frequency and Q is the Q factor. The Q factor can be calculated using Q = π*τ*f_o, where τ is the decay rate. The resonant frequency is not needed in the final equation and the decay rate needs to be converted to units of 1/s.
pacgcrosss
  1. I am confused by this question and was hoping someone could clear this up for me, I know this is simple.

A mass-spring system vibrates at 10 Hz. Ideally, i.e., without friction, it would continue forever at the same amplitude. In practice, its amplitude is found to decay such that it decreases by 1/e every 10 minutes. Estimate the width of its frequency spectrum.

So I know the frequency is 10Hz and how much the amplitude is decreasing. How am I supposed to determine the width of the frequency spectrum from this? Isn't there not a relationship between amplitude and frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pac,

This question is put to you in the context of some teaching material. Control engineering, Laplace ? You have to use the template and list some relevant equations plus an attempt at solution before we are allowed to assist you

@BvU, this is for a sensors course in robotics. And @kuruman, thanks very much for that link that really helps. I didn't really know where to start. Reading that wiki, the width of the frequency spectrum is equivalent to the bandwidth. I simply use the formula Δf = f_o / Q where f_o is the resonant frequency (10Hz) in this case. I can calculate the Q factor using Q = π*τ*f_o.

τ = 1/λ where lambda is the decay rate. I know that the amplitude is decaying at a rate of 1/e every 10 minutes.

Therefore Δf = f_o / Q → Δf = f_o / (π τ f_o) → Δf = 1/(πτ) → Δf = λ/π

Which leads me to two questions.

1. λ looks like it must have units of 1/s so would I just need to convert the decay rate from what it is every 10 minutes to what it is every second?

2. Does the resonant frequency really not matter here? It canceled out of my final equation.

Thanks a lot.

Yes and yes.

Likes pacgcrosss

What is the mass-spring system?

The mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring. The mass-spring system is often used to model oscillatory motion in various fields, such as physics and engineering.

What is frequency in a mass-spring system?

In a mass-spring system, frequency refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles the system undergoes in one second. It is measured in hertz (Hz).

How is the frequency of a mass-spring system calculated?

The frequency of a mass-spring system can be calculated using the following formula: f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

What is amplitude in a mass-spring system?

In a mass-spring system, amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the system's energy and is usually expressed in meters (m).

How does the amplitude affect the frequency of a mass-spring system?

The amplitude of a mass-spring system does not affect its frequency. The frequency is determined by the mass and spring constant, while the amplitude is affected by the initial conditions and external forces acting on the system.