Masses sliding on a smooth wedge

In summary: Homework StatementA particle of mass m is confined to move along the x-axis in a smooth, two-dimensional box. The potential in the box is$$V(x,y)=k\left[ \frac{x^4}{4} - \frac{x^2}{2}y^2 \right]$$with k a positive constant.1) What is the force ##F_x## on the particle?2) What is the force ##F_y## on the particle?3) What is the motion of the particle?In summary, a particle of mass m is confined to move along the x-axis in a smooth, two-dimensional box with a potential defined by V(x,y)=k[x^4/4
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg
[/B]Mass m lies on a Weighing scale which is on Wagon M. the inclined surface is smooth, between m and M there is enough friction to prevent m from moving.
1) What does the weigh show?
2) What is the minimum coefficient of friction between m and M to prevent slipping?
3) What is M's acceleration parallel to the slope if there is no friction between m and M? can it be bigger than ##g\sin\alpha##?
4) What does the Weighing scale show in this case?

Homework Equations

Mass-acceleration: F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1) F=ma. ##a_{\alpha}## is parallel to the slope:
$$(M+m)g\sin\alpha=(M+m)a_{\alpha}~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=g\sin\alpha,~~a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=g\sin^2\alpha$$
W is the weight, what the scale shows:
$$W=mg\sin\alpha$$
Snap1.jpg
2)
$$a_x=a_\alpha\cos\alpha=g\sin\alpha\cos\alpha$$
$$f=ma_x:~mg\mu=mg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha~~\rightarrow~~\mu_{\rm min}=\sin\alpha\cos\alpha$$
3)
$$(M+m)g\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin\alpha$$
Yes, it's bigger than ##g\sin\alpha##
4)
$$a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha$$
$$W=ma_y=\frac{m}{M}(M+m)g\sin^2\alpha$$

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to check an answer is to consider limiting cases. Does your answer for (1) give you a reasonable result for ##\alpha## going to ##0## or ##\pi/2##?

Last edited:
Karol said:
W is the weight, what the scale shows:
W=mgsinα​
Justify that claim. Consider the FBD of m.

TSny said:
One way to check an answer is to consider limiting cases. Does your answer for (1) give you a reasonable result for ##\alpha## going to ##0## or ##\pi/2##?
##a_\alpha=g\sin\alpha## seems reasonable since when α→0 aα→0
The weight, as the scale shows:
$$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg$$

Karol said:
##a_\alpha=g\sin\alpha## seems reasonable since when α→0 aα→0
The weight, as the scale shows:
$$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg$$
Right. Which simplifies to...?

1)
$$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg=mg\cos^2\alpha$$
4)
$$mg-W=ma_y=m\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=\left[ 1-\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha \right]mg$$

Last edited:
Karol said:
1)
$$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg=mg\cos^2\alpha$$
OK
4)
$$mg-W=ma_y=m\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=\left[ 1-\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha \right]mg$$
You have ##a_y=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha##. Does this behave properly as ##\alpha \rightarrow \pi/2##?

You need to go back and rework parts (2), (3), and (4). Use separate FBD's for m and M.

Snap1.jpg
TSny said:
You need to go back and rework parts (2), (3), and (4). Use separate FBD's for m and M.

The first equation is for M and the second for m. W is m's weight as M sees it, i.e. the force applied on M by m:
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} (W+mg)\sin\alpha-W\mu\cos\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ ma_\alpha\cos\alpha =W\mu \end{array}\right. ~~\rightarrow~~W=\frac{mMg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{(\mu\cos^2\alpha-\sin\alpha\cos\alpha)m+M\mu}$$
W becomes 0 when α=0, wrong. i expect it to be mg, am i right?

Last edited:
Karol said:
View attachment 105776

The first equation is for M and the second for m. W is m's weight as M sees it, i.e. the force applied on M by m:
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} (W+mg)\sin\alpha-W\mu\cos\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ ma_\alpha\cos\alpha =W\mu \end{array}\right. ~~\rightarrow~~W=\frac{mMg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{(\mu\cos^2\alpha-\sin\alpha\cos\alpha)m+M\mu}$$
W becomes 0 when α=0, wrong. i expect it to be mg, am i right?

Why not try part 2). Once you get that, move on to parts 3 & 4.

Also, for 3 & 4, the equations of motion for m and M are coupled, so you may not be able to solve them independently.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Why not try part 2). Once you get that, move on to parts 3 & 4.
Post #8 is for part (2), but the answer doesn't comply with the boundary condition ##\alpha=0##. i expect, for ##\alpha=0## that W=mg, but if i substitute ##\alpha=0## in my W, i get W=0

Karol said:
Post #8 is for part (2), but the answer doesn't comply with the boundary condition ##\alpha=0##. i expect, for ##\alpha=0## that W=mg, but if i substitute ##\alpha=0## in my W, i get W=0

I don't really understand post #8. From part 1 you have ##W_1 = mgcos^2(\alpha)##

So:

a) What is the maximum frictional force between ##m## and ##M##?

b) What horizontal frictional force between ##m## and ##M## is needed to sustain the motion without slipping?

The maximum friction force between m and M is ##f=mg\mu\cos^2\alpha##. the horizontal friction force needed to sustain the motion is what i wrote in the OP:
$$f=ma_x,~~W\mu=ma_x,~~mg\mu\sin^2\alpha=mg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha~~\rightarrow~~\mu_{\rm min}=\frac{1}{\tan\alpha}$$

Karol said:
The maximum friction force between m and M is ##f=mg\mu\cos^2\alpha##. the horizontal friction force needed to sustain the motion is what i wrote in the OP:
$$f=ma_x,~~W\mu=ma_x,~~mg\mu\sin^2\alpha=mg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha~~\rightarrow~~\mu_{\rm min}=\frac{1}{\tan\alpha}$$

You've got the ##sin^2## and ##cos^2## mixed up. It's ##\mu \ge tan \alpha##.

Anyway, I think 3 & 4 are quite tricky. You can see by energy considerations that ##M## has more energy in case 3 after both masses have fallen a given vertical height, as ##m## has no horizontal velocity in case 3, unlike case 1. Or, to put it another way:

The larger ##m## becomes, the more force it exerts on ##M## and the greater the acceleration of ##M##. But, the greater the vertical acceleration, the less proportion of the normal weight of ##m## is felt by ##M##.

Can you see how to use this to set up some equations for ##a## and ##W_3##?

I made in post #1 for case 3:
$$a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha$$
$$mg-W_3=ma_y~~\rightarrow~~W=(g-a_y)m=\left[ 1-\frac{M+m}{M}\sin^2\alpha \right]mg$$

Last edited:
In post #8 you assume correctly that both blocks have the same component of acceleration, ##a_{\alpha}##, along the incline . Is this true for parts 3 and 4?

For these parts, in what direction must the two blocks have the same component of acceleration?

EDIT: Backing up to your first post, you wrote for part 3 that ##(M+m)g\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha##. Can you explain how you got the left side?

TSny said:
For these parts, in what direction must the two blocks have the same component of acceleration?
##a_y## is the same for M and m. did you see my new, completed, post #14?

Karol said:
I don't see how you got the left side of the first equation.

Karol said:
##a_y## is the same for M and m.
Yes.

Karol said:

I see how you got this, but it's not right. You imagine that ##m## is pushing with its full, normal weight down on ##M##. But, because they are both accelerating downwards, it should be:

##(M + W_3)## instead of ##(M + m)##

3) The first is FBD for M and the second is for m:
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} [W+Mg]\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ mg-W=ma_y=ma_\alpha\sin\alpha \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{(M+m)\sin\alpha}{M+m\sin^2\alpha}$$

Likes PeroK
Karol said:
3) The first is FBD for M and the second is for m:
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} [W+Mg]\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ mg-W=ma_y=ma_\alpha\sin\alpha \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{(M+m)\sin\alpha}{M+m\sin^2\alpha}$$

If you add "g" somewhere, you've got it!

$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} [W+Mg]\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ mg-W=ma_y=ma_\alpha\sin\alpha \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{(M+m)\sin\alpha}{M+m\sin^2\alpha}g$$

Karol said:
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} [W+Mg]\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ mg-W=ma_y=ma_\alpha\sin\alpha \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{(M+m)\sin\alpha}{M+m\sin^2\alpha}g$$
Looks right. It's interesting to consider the limiting case where m >> M and α → 0.
EDIT: The behavior of ##a_\alpha## for ##\alpha##→ 0 is very different for M = 0 compared to M ≠ 0 with M << m. Graphing ##a_\alpha## vs ##\alpha## for various M/m values is useful. I think this has something to do with childhood memories of squeezing a slippery watermelon seed between thumb and forefinger to launch the seed across the room (not at anybody of course :oldeyes:).

Last edited:
TSny said:
The behavior of ##a_\alpha## for ##\alpha## → 0 is very different for M = 0 compared to M ≠ 0 with M << m. Graphing ##a_\alpha## vs ##\alpha## for various M/m values is useful
I will try and post here the graphs

17.9.jpg
all the graph's results must be multiplied by g, the gravity constant.
I don't understand why, for M=0, aα tends to infinity. it must be a mistake of mine in the graph.

Last edited:
Karol said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/106086 all the graph's results must be multiplied by g, the gravity constant.
I don't understand why, for M=0, aα tends to infinity. it must be a mistake of mine in the graph.

##M \rightarrow 0## is equivalent to ##m >> M##

PeroK said:
##M\rightarrow 0## is equivalent to m>>M
Why the acceleration, parallel to the slope, as ##\alpha\rightarrow 0##, tends to infinity? no matter what the sizes of m and M are they must stay in place, ##a_\alpha\rightarrow 0##, since it is almost a flat table that they lie upon

Karol said:
Why the acceleration, parallel to the slope, as ##\alpha\rightarrow 0##, tends to infinity? no matter what the sizes of m and M are they must stay in place, ##a_\alpha\rightarrow 0##, since it is almost a flat table that they lie upon

In the case ##M \rightarrow 0##, ##m## is much larger and squeezes ##M## and shoots it out like the watermelon seed in post #22. The limit of this as ##\alpha \rightarrow 0## is 0 for any finite ##m## and ##M##.

Taking ##M = 0## and ##\alpha \rightarrow 0## breaks the maths, which can happen.

PeroK said:
Taking M=0 and α→0 breaks the maths, which can happen.
I don't understand much in mathematics but is here a problem? if M is very tiny, then, for M=0 there is a jump in the graph, from 0 to infinity. it's the first time i hear about it. as i have said, not that i heard about too much about mathematics

Karol said:
I don't understand much in mathematics but is here a problem? if M is very tiny, then, for M=0 there is a jump in the graph, from 0 to infinity. it's the first time i hear about it. as i have said, not that i heard about too much about mathematics

Look, ##M=0## is simply not valid in the first place. How can you calculate the acceleration of something with zero mass?

PeroK said:
M=0 is simply not valid in the first place. How can you calculate the acceleration of something with zero mass?
Thank you TSny and PeroK

how do u wrote those Tex commands, by simply writing the codes or theirs any other way ?

@Shivam, don't start a new issue in an old thread ! Make a new thread instead.
Now that it's done anyway: the PF guidelines refer to a ##\LaTeX## tutorial. If you already know ##\TeX## : enclose the code in ## for inline math, in $$ for displayed math

Related to Masses sliding on a smooth wedge

1. What is the concept of "masses sliding on a smooth wedge"?

The concept of "masses sliding on a smooth wedge" refers to a physical scenario where one or more objects with mass are placed on a smooth, angled surface and are allowed to slide down due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the motion of masses sliding on a smooth wedge?

The motion of masses sliding on a smooth wedge is affected by the angle of the wedge, the mass of the objects, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the angle of the wedge affect the motion of masses sliding on it?

The steeper the angle of the wedge, the faster the objects will slide down due to the increased force of gravity. A shallower angle will result in slower motion.

4. What is the role of friction in masses sliding on a smooth wedge?

In a perfectly smooth scenario, there would be no friction and the objects would continue to slide down the wedge indefinitely. However, in real-world scenarios, there is always some friction present which causes the objects to eventually come to a stop.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect their motion on a smooth wedge?

The more massive an object is, the more inertia it has and the harder it is to accelerate or decelerate. Therefore, a more massive object will slide down a smooth wedge at a slower rate compared to a less massive object.