Master Algebraic Fractions: Step-by-Step Guide with 3+ Sum Examples

• MHB
  • Thread starter fordy2707
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation is about rewriting an expression as a single rational expression and determining the lowest common denominator. The method of finding the LCD is explained and the final simplified expression is given. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that this was a good challenge.
fordy2707
hi all thanks for any help ,Can You solve:

View attachment 5445

I have the answer in my book but I don't know how the answer is reached

please show steps to solve, i can solve 2 sum fractions but not sure where to start with 3 or more sums involved

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are given the expression:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{6}{s+3}-\frac{4}{s+2}+\frac{3}{s+1}+2\)

And instructed to rewrite this expression as a single rational expression. Before we can do this, we need to determine the lowest common denominator (LCD), and since all denominators are prime with respect to each other, this will simply be the product of them all.

To make each term have this LCD, we need to take the LCD, and divide by denominator each term already has, and then multiply each term by 1 in the form of this quotient divided by itself. For example, the first term already has a denominator of $s+3$, and so we find the quotient:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(s+3)(s+2)(s+1)}{s+3}=(s+2)(s+1)\)

And so we will want to multiply the first term by:

\(\displaystyle 1=\frac{(s+2)(s+1)}{(s+2)(s+1)}\)

I am emphasizing that this expression is equal to 1 so that it is clear that in doing so we are not changing the value of that term. Doing the same for the other terms, we will have:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{6}{s+3}\cdot\frac{(s+2)(s+1)}{(s+2)(s+1)}-\frac{4}{s+2}\cdot\frac{(s+3)(s+1)}{(s+3)(s+1)}+\frac{3}{s+1}\cdot\frac{(s+3)(s+2)}{(s+3)(s+2)}+2\cdot\frac{(s+3)(s+2)(s+1)}{(s+3)(s+2)(s+1)}\)

Now, all 4 terms have the same denominator, and we can combine them:

\(\displaystyle \frac{-6(s+2)(s+1)-4(s+3)(s+1)+3(s+3)(s+2)+2(s+3)(s+2)(s+1)}{(s+3)(s+2)(s+1)}\)

And so now we have done as instructed. You may wish to expand and then combine like terms in the numerator. :)

Nice one with your help I've worked it out, it's a long calculation to get the simplest form with no brackets but a good challenge

All we're doing here is repeating a/b + c/d = (ad + bc)/bd. If you're used to doing this, this should be easy.

Related to Master Algebraic Fractions: Step-by-Step Guide with 3+ Sum Examples

1. What are algebraic fractions?

Algebraic fractions are expressions that contain at least one variable in the numerator, denominator, or both. They are similar to numerical fractions, but instead of numbers, they use algebraic terms such as variables, coefficients, and exponents.

2. How do I simplify algebraic fractions?

To simplify algebraic fractions, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and divide both by it. Then, you can use the distributive property to factor out any common terms in the numerator and denominator and cancel them out.

3. What is the difference between adding and subtracting algebraic fractions?

When adding algebraic fractions, you need to find a common denominator by multiplying the denominators together. Then, you can add the numerators and simplify the resulting fraction. When subtracting, the process is the same, but you need to remember to change the sign of the second fraction before adding.

4. How do I solve equations with algebraic fractions?

To solve equations with algebraic fractions, you need to isolate the variable by getting rid of all the fractions. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of all the denominators. Then, you can simplify and solve for the variable as usual.

5. Can algebraic fractions be negative?

Yes, algebraic fractions can be negative. The key is to remember that the sign in front of the fraction applies to the entire fraction, not just the numerator. So, if a fraction has a negative sign, it means the entire fraction is negative, not just the numerator.