What is meant by "convergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##" ?

• I
  • Thread starter Adesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the book says that the third convergent of a continued fraction is the number that we get when stop the division process at any stage.
Adesh
TL;DR Summary
Convergents in a continued fractions are things that we get when truncate the process at any stage.
Continued Fractions are themselves quite odd to learn and see in modern Algebra courses. The convergents are the numbers that we get when stop the division process at any stage. I know the laws related to convergents, let ##p_n## denote the numerator of ##n##th convergent and ##q_n## the denominator. It can be proved easily that ## p_n q_{n-1} - p_{n-1} q_{n} = (-1)^{n}##, and I managed to become comfortable with it (after a fierce struggle). But the problem has come when I was reading Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight, Chapter XXVI, Article 347, in it we find

To find the general solution in positive integer of the equation ##ax -by =c##.

Let ##\frac{a}{b}## be converted into continued fractions, and let ##\frac{p}{q}## denote the convergent ##\color{red}{ just~ preceding~\frac{a}{b}; ~then~ aq -bp= \pm 1}##

Now, everything that is in red is causing me the problem, first of all what does it mean "just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##", we can talk about first convergent, second convergent ... n th convergent but what "preceding" thing is quite not obvious. In the example after this article, the book says

In converting ##\frac{42}{29}## into a continued fraction the convergent just before ##\frac{42}{29}## is ##\frac{13}{9}##.

But if we convert ##\frac{42}{29}## into continued fraction we would find

$$\frac{42}{29} = 1+ \frac{13}{29} $$

$$\frac{42}{29} = 1+ \cfrac{1} {
\frac{29}{13}} = 1 + \cfrac{1} {
2+ \cfrac{3}{13} } $$
$$\frac{42}{29} = 1+ \cfrac{1} {\cfrac{29}{13}} =
1 + \cfrac{1} {
2+ \cfrac{1}{
\cfrac{13}{3} }} = 1+ \cfrac{1} {
2+ \cfrac{1}{
4+ \cfrac{1}{3} } }$$

So, you see I never got anything like ##\frac{13}{9}## in the continued fraction of ##\frac{42}{29}##. Please explain me what is the book is doing and what he meant by "convergent just preceding ...".

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the completed continued fraction is $$x = a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1 + \frac{1}{a_2 + \dots}}$$ then the convergents are ##a_0##, ##a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1}##, ##a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1 + \frac{1}{a_2}}##, and so on. In this case, your continued fraction is ##[1:2,4,3]##, so the third convergent is $$1 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3}} = \frac{13}{9}$$

Likes member 587159 and Adesh
etotheipi said:
If the completed continued fraction is $$x = a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1 + \frac{1}{a_2 + \dots}}$$ then the convergents are ##a_0##, ##a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1}##, ##a_0 + \frac{1}{a_1 + \frac{1}{a_2}}##, and so on. In this case, your continued fraction is ##[1:2,4,3]##, so the third convergent is $$1 + \frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3}} = \frac{13}{9}$$
Thank you so much.

Likes etotheipi

1. What does "convergent" mean in the context of ##\frac{a}{b}##?

"Convergent" refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as it approaches a specific value or limit. In the context of ##\frac{a}{b}##, it means that the sequence or series is approaching a specific value or limit as the terms become larger or smaller.

2. How is "convergent" different from "divergent"?

"Divergent" refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as it approaches infinity or negative infinity. In contrast, "convergent" refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as it approaches a specific value or limit. In other words, a divergent sequence or series does not approach a specific value, while a convergent sequence or series does.

3. What does "just preceding" mean in relation to ##\frac{a}{b}##?

"Just preceding" means immediately before or prior to. In the context of ##\frac{a}{b}##, it means that the value or limit being approached by the sequence or series is the one that comes right before the actual value of ##\frac{a}{b}##.

4. How can I determine if a sequence or series is convergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##?

The convergence of a sequence or series just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}## can be determined by evaluating the behavior of the terms as they approach the limit or value. If the terms become closer and closer to a specific value as they increase or decrease, then the sequence or series is convergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##.

5. Can a sequence or series be both convergent and divergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##?

No, a sequence or series cannot be both convergent and divergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##. The behavior of a sequence or series as it approaches a limit or value can only be one of these two options. However, a sequence or series can be neither convergent nor divergent just preceding ##\frac{a}{b}##, which means that it does not approach a specific value or infinity.