Master degree - Mathematical modelling or Astro?

In summary, the speaker is a second year physics undergraduate who is interested in solar physics and has been offered a project involving sunspot simulations. They enjoy mathematics and are considering whether mathematical modelling or astrophysics would be a better choice for their career in plasma or MHD. They list the mandatory subjects for both options and mention that they would like to do their thesis on sunspots. The speaker is advised to consider the hands-on aspect and job outlook when making their decision between the two fields.
Tom83B
I'm an udergrad, 2nd year physics.

I recently got interested in solar physics - one reason being, that I was offered to cooperate on a project, where I'll be doing some sunspot simulations.

I really like mathematics and I kinda like the mathematical modelling curriculum. However the curriculum for astrophysics is also interesting.

My question is - is mathematical modelling a good choice if I want to do plasma / MHD and how does it compare with astrophysics?

The mandatory subjects for astro are:
Astrophysics 1,2
Relativistic physics
Some "lab course" at observatory
Galactic and extragalactic astronomy 1,2
Space electrodynamics
Elementary processes in space physics
Celestial mechanics

and for modelling:
Quantum theory
Approximate and numerical methods
Thermodynamics and solid state mechanics
Thermodynamics and non-Newtonian fluids dynamics
Finite elements method

Degree in plasma and surface physics is offered as well but I'm not sure I would be allowed to do my thesis on sunspots (which is important)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can study plasma physics in astrophysics, but from afar. Do you want to do hands-on stuff? If so, take the modeling route. But it sounds like you really prefer astronomy/astrophysics. Consider the job outlook though.

1. What is the difference between a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling and Astronomy?

A Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling focuses on the application of mathematical techniques and computer simulations to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. On the other hand, a Master's degree in Astronomy focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena, including their origins, structures, and evolution.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available with a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling or Astronomy?

Graduates with a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling can work in a wide range of industries, including finance, healthcare, and technology, as data analysts, financial analysts, or research scientists. Those with a Master's degree in Astronomy can work as astronomers, astrophysicists, or research scientists in government agencies, observatories, or universities.

3. Is a strong background in mathematics required for a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling or Astronomy?

Yes, both degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. A Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling will also require advanced courses in numerical methods and computer programming, while a Master's degree in Astronomy will require courses in astrophysics and cosmology.

4. Can a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling or Astronomy lead to a career in teaching?

Yes, both degrees can lead to a career in teaching at the high school or college level. A Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling can also prepare students for a career in teaching at the community college level, while a Master's degree in Astronomy can lead to teaching opportunities at planetariums and science museums.

5. What are the research opportunities available for students pursuing a Master's degree in Mathematical Modelling or Astronomy?

Both degrees offer various research opportunities, such as working on research projects with faculty, participating in internships at research institutions, or conducting independent research for a thesis or dissertation. A Master's degree in Astronomy may also involve opportunities to conduct observations and use advanced telescopes and instruments for research purposes.