Master High School Physics with Expert Help: Solving Common Problems

In summary: If you've never seen or worked with calculus before, then it might be a bit scary. It's a way of solving problems involving rates of change, and can be a bit tricky at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it can be really helpful when solving problems involving motion.Anyway, in summary, the ball will reach its maximum height after 7 seconds, it will be traveling at a speed of 20m/s when it reaches its maximum height, and the average acceleration will be 15m/s.
lauralovesyou
Hi,

I have a few questions that I'm stuck on, any help would be greatly appreciated, and please show the work, so I understand how to do it.

1.If an object is dropped from a height of 2.0m, how long does it take to hit the ground?

2. A driver in a car traveling at 55km/h sees a ball roll out in the street 20m in front of the car. She slams on her brakes and decelerates at 5.0m/s^2. How long (in seconds) does it take for her to stop? How far does the car travel in this time? Does she stop in time to avoid hitting the ball?

3. A ball is thrown straight up with a speed of 20.m/s. How long does it take for the ball to reach its maximum height. What is the maximum height that the ball reaches? How fast is the ball traveling (ignoring air resistance) when it comes back to its starting point?

4. A car changes its velocity from 20 m/s (W) to 15m/s (E) in 7.0s. What is the average acceleration of the car? What is the displacement of the car over the 7.0s?

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you think are relevant? How would you approach the problems?

We're here to help you find the answers, not to do your homework for you.

I honestly do not know, I've missed a whole month's worth of physics, therefore I'm very behind, I'm trying to get as much help as I can and if I can get guidance on how to do a few questions, that would be helpful. All I know is that this unit is on kinematics.

lauralovesyou said:
I honestly do not know, I've missed a whole month's worth of physics, therefore I'm very behind, I'm trying to get as much help as I can and if I can get guidance on how to do a few questions, that would be helpful. All I know is that this unit is on kinematics.

Then what you need to know is the basic kinematic equations for motion under constant acceleration.

Before we start, I'll ask you this, do you know basic calculus?

Does the following expression ring any bells, or is it a bit scary:

[tex]\vec v = \frac{d\vec x}{dt}[/tex]

1. What are some common topics covered in high school physics?

High school physics typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and basic principles of modern physics.

2. What skills are important for success in high school physics?

Having a strong foundation in algebra and geometry is important for understanding the mathematical concepts in physics. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design skills are also crucial for success in high school physics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of concepts in high school physics?

One way to improve your understanding is to practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also attend extra help sessions or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher. Additionally, watching educational videos or using interactive simulations can help reinforce key concepts.

4. How can I prepare for exams in high school physics?

To prepare for exams, make sure you understand the key concepts and formulas. Practice solving problems and reviewing class notes and assignments. You can also create study guides or flashcards to help you review important information.

5. What are some real-world applications of high school physics?

High school physics concepts are used in many real-world applications such as designing bridges and buildings, predicting weather patterns, developing new technologies, and understanding the laws of motion and energy. Physics also plays a role in fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.