Mastering Calculus: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies from Experienced Mathematicians

• Thread starter tomcenjerrym
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculus and seeking advice on how to improve skills in this area. The person asking for advice is impressed by their friend's ability in calculus and is looking for tips and tricks on how to approach it. The conversation also touches on the importance of practice and the time one should spend studying for calculus.
tomcenjerrym
I assume most people here are have more ability on any field of mathematics than me, so can anyone here give me any example, tips, trick, your experience, when you’re facing
calculus?

Because I am very impressed of my friend ability on his knowledge of science especially calculus and I wonder how he do that and what is in his brain.
I am afraid of loosing him because he is some kind of guidance to me.
In fact, he has graduate on colleague earlier than me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calc 1, 2 or 3 ?

Calc one is pretty streight forward since all you do is take derivatives like

f(x)= 2x^2 + 3x - 8
f'(x)= 4x + 3
but its not all like this, this is just a very simple example, like the power rule, chain rule, product rule, qoutient rule are all calc 1 and more but as far as tips and tricks is there a certain thing you want to know ??

Thanks, but not the answer I want. Furthermore, and I wonder how many hours you’re spending in a day to read, imagine and remember it, then do some exercises of Calculus? And can you please tell me your methods of learning Calculus?

you develop an intuition for numbers the more you work with them. Most have to struggle with many problems before they can solve other problems of the same class with ease. Practice is the key.

the methods? do problems, be precise with your ideas. That is, even for the most simple of problems, articulate your solution/attempt-at-a-solution with precise full sentences and write them down. One needs to get into the habit of thinking about math in a coherent manner and this is a great way of doing that.

For Calculus 1 - I would say 1-2 hours of self-study per hour of lecture should suffice
calc 2 - 2-3 hours
calc 3 - 2-3 hours (ive actually found calc 3 to be easier than calc3)

Again this is NOT a standard in fact it's probably a lot more than what the ordinary person would need to spend on his/her calculus class to succeed, but if the extra time is put in it would only bring you forward. If you think you're good, do the hard problems - and there are ALWAYS hardER problems to do.

Related to Mastering Calculus: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies from Experienced Mathematicians

What is the purpose of "Tips & Tricks from Master?"

The purpose of "Tips & Tricks from Master" is to provide practical and useful tips and tricks from experts in a particular field or subject, in order to help others improve their skills and knowledge in that area.

Who are the "Masters" in "Tips & Tricks from Master?"

The "Masters" in "Tips & Tricks from Master" are individuals who have a high level of expertise and experience in a specific field or subject. They have a deep understanding and mastery of the topic and are able to share their knowledge with others.

What kind of tips and tricks can I expect to learn from "Tips & Tricks from Master?"

The tips and tricks shared in "Tips & Tricks from Master" can vary depending on the subject or field. However, they are typically practical and actionable techniques, strategies, or shortcuts that can help you improve your skills and achieve better results.

How can I apply the tips and tricks from "Tips & Tricks from Master" in my own work or studies?

The tips and tricks from "Tips & Tricks from Master" can be applied in various ways depending on the subject or field. They may require practice, experimentation, or adaptation to your specific needs and goals. It is important to carefully consider and understand the tips and tricks before applying them in your own work or studies.

Are the tips and tricks from "Tips & Tricks from Master" scientifically proven?

The tips and tricks shared in "Tips & Tricks from Master" may be based on scientific principles or research, but they may not necessarily be scientifically proven. It is important to critically evaluate and test the tips and tricks for yourself to see if they work for you.