Mastering General Relativity: Student Experiences

In summary, the books people most recommend on general relativity are Gravitation, by Thorne, Wheeler and Misner, Wald's book and Weinberg's book.
kent davidge
In my Google searchs and by reading threads on this forum I've seen that the books people most recommend on general relativity are
Graviation, by Thorne, Wheeler and Misner,
Wald's book and
Weinberg's book.

I'm in the first year to get a bachelor degree on physics and I could read any of these books at the university library. I've read a little bit of MTW, but I don't like the way it states the subjects (like, metric is a machine with two slots to which you put two vectors), I prefer something more formal, like metric is a mapping from V x V to R.

I'd like to know some experiences from someone on this forum when at student years. What books did you read at that time? How did you get your knowledge on this fascinating subject?

hey, I don't know if the thread tittle is appropriate, in any case please excuse my poor english.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I used Sean Carroll's online notes when I was in my 3d year. Still recommended. Zee's book is also great; I consider it to be the successor of mtw. But, like mtw, it's phonebook-thick.

Likes kent davidge
As a first and second-year undergrad, I tried to read Spacetime Physics, Gravitation/MTW, and Schutz's book on my own... MTW was slow going... but I'd come back to it every now and then.
My modern physics professor suggested Geroch's GR from A to B... interesting viewpoint, but seemed too verbose and elementary at the time.
Later in undergrad, I took various courses that used Ray Skinner's book, Landau's book, and [as an independent study] Lawden.
Only later would I appreciate Geroch's viewpoints when I sat in on his class [after taking Wald's course in grad school]. This was my "a-ha" moment.
You may find some interesting material here: http://home.uchicago.edu/~geroch/

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge

1. What is the goal of mastering general relativity?

The goal of mastering general relativity is to gain a thorough understanding of Einstein's theory of gravity, which describes the relationship between matter, energy, space, and time. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions about the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets and galaxies.

2. Who can benefit from mastering general relativity?

Anyone with an interest in physics, astronomy, or cosmology can benefit from mastering general relativity. It is a fundamental theory that has implications in many fields and can enhance one's understanding of the universe.

3. How difficult is it to master general relativity?

Mastering general relativity can be challenging, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract ideas. However, with dedication and proper guidance, anyone can grasp the fundamental principles and applications of the theory.

4. What are some common obstacles students face when learning general relativity?

Some common challenges students face when learning general relativity include understanding the mathematical equations and concepts, visualizing the abstract ideas, and applying the theory to real-world situations. It may also require a shift in thinking compared to classical physics.

5. What are some tips for successfully mastering general relativity?

To successfully master general relativity, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a willingness to think outside the box. It can also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and seek guidance from experienced teachers or resources. Practicing and applying the theory to real-world problems can also aid in understanding and retention.