Material Balance Lead in a lake

In summary: The rate of accumulation is equal to the rate of deposition.Rin = R = 120 kg/yearCin = 40 ppb = 40 μg/LC(t) = (Qin*Cin + R*t) / (Qout + Qin)= (6.0*10^7 m3/yr * 40 μg/L + 120 kg/year * t) / (6.0*10^7 m3/yr + 6.0*10^7 m3/yr)= (2.4*10^9 μg/yr + 120 kg/year * t) / (12.0*10^7 m3/yr)= (2
dimens

Homework Statement

Question 2.
Tetraethyl lead was used in early model cars to help reduce engine knocking, boost octane ratings, and help with wear and tear on valveseats within the motor. In Australia, our petrol
contained lead between approximately 1950 and 2002. Consider the impact of lead in petrol on a lake used for drinking water supply. The lake has a steady state water volume of 8.2 x 107m3 with an inflow and outflow of 6.0 x 107m3/year. From 1950, the lead concentration in the lake inflow water was 40 ppb and the deposition rate of lead onto the lake surface was 120 kg/y. Assume the lead concentration in the lake water was zero when lead first started being added to petrol and that the lake is completely mixed.

a.Calculate the steady state concentration of lead in
the lake water (in μg/L) for the time period when lead was included in petrol.

Homework Equations

I was thinking since output rate = reaction rate... QC = G-kCV

The Attempt at a Solution

We've got pretty much all of the variables.. Except for C and k...

Rearranging for C...

C = G / (Q + kV)

To find k... k = G/VC

(120kg/year) / 8.2x10^7 * 40 ppb

= 120 kg/year / 8.2*10^10L * 4x10^-8 kg/L
= 120/year / 3936
= 0.0366/year

c = 120 kg/year / 6.0*10^7 m3/year + 0.0366/year * 8.2*10^7m3

However I get some ridiculous number.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to follow your calculations because you omit so many units.

There is no reaction taking place, so forget that. You need to do a transient (time dependent) material balance on the lead in the lake.

Let Q = volumetric water flow rate into and out of the lake.
Let C0 = concentration of lead in the water flowing into the lake.
Since the lake is well-mixed, let C = concentration of lead in the water exiting the lake, and also the concentration of lead within the lake (at any time t)
Let R be the rate of lead being deposited into the lake from above.
Write a time dependent differential mass balance for the lead in the lake.

Chet

Likes 1 person
input rate = output rate + deposition
Qin*C0 = Qout * C + Rt
C(t) = (Qin*C0 - Rt) / Qout

Something like this?

Chestermiller said:
There is no reaction taking place, so forget that. You need to do a transient (time dependent) material balance on the lead in the lake.

Let Q = volumetric water flow rate into and out of the lake.
Let C0 = concentration of lead in the water flowing into the lake.
Since the lake is well-mixed, let C = concentration of lead in the water exiting the lake, and also the concentration of lead within the lake (at any time t)
Let R be the rate of lead being deposited into the lake from above.
Write a time dependent differential mass balance for the lead in the lake.

Chet

Hi Chester, i made an account just for this as i have the same question.

i have converted the kg of lead being deposited onto the lake into litres, 12.346 per year and have included that into the inputs. I have calculated the concentration of the water exiting the lake at year 1 as 4.22x10^-5 μg/L, however I am still struggling to find the correct equation as i do not think i have think that is correct answer. The equation i used was (Qin x Cin + Rin)/Qout = Cout. Any help would be appreciated.

Connor Hadley said:
Hi Chester, i made an account just for this as i have the same question.

i have converted the kg of lead being deposited onto the lake into litres, 12.346 per year and have included that into the inputs. I have calculated the concentration of the water exiting the lake at year 1 as 4.22x10^-5 μg/L, however I am still struggling to find the correct equation as i do not think i have think that is correct answer. The equation i used was (Qin x Cin + Rin)/Qout = Cout. Any help would be appreciated.
Why did you convert the lead deposited into liters?

Your equation omits the rate of accumulation of lead in the lake. Why did you think they told you the volume of the lake?

What is material balance lead in a lake and why is it important?

Material balance lead in a lake refers to the amount of lead present in the water and sediments of a lake. It is important to monitor and understand this balance because lead is a toxic substance that can have harmful effects on the environment and human health.

How does lead enter a lake?

Lead can enter a lake through various sources such as industrial discharge, agricultural runoff, and atmospheric deposition from sources like vehicle emissions. It can also be naturally present in the soil and rocks surrounding the lake.

What are the potential impacts of high material balance lead in a lake?

High levels of lead in a lake can have negative impacts on aquatic life, such as reduced growth and reproduction, as well as harm to other animals that rely on the lake as a food source. It can also contaminate drinking water and pose a risk to human health.

How is material balance lead in a lake measured and monitored?

Material balance lead in a lake is typically measured through water and sediment sampling. These samples are then analyzed in a lab to determine the concentration of lead. Regular monitoring is important to track changes in lead levels and identify any potential sources of contamination.

What can be done to reduce material balance lead in a lake?

To reduce material balance lead in a lake, it is important to reduce or eliminate sources of lead pollution. This can include implementing stricter regulations on industrial and agricultural activities, as well as promoting sustainable practices to minimize lead contamination. Regular monitoring and clean-up efforts can also help reduce lead levels in a lake.