Material for studying probability and statistics

In summary, the individual is struggling with the book "Introduction to Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists" by Sheldon M. Ross due to its lack of detail and difficult examples. They are looking for a substitute that covers the curriculum of Chapters 3, 4, and 5, which include topics such as conditional probability, random variables, and special random variables. They have found a potential replacement, "Introduction to Probability, 2nd Edition" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, which covers most of the same material in approximately 500 pages. They also mention a helpful website with applets for studying probability and statistics.
stucano
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with this book - "Introduction to Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists" by Sheldon M. Ross. The explanations are very short and often lack necessary details, the examples are very hard and apparently some full of errors. I just can't study from it and it's becoming incredibly frustrating.

I'm mostly doing self-study with video lectures when needed but I need a good book for this. My course's curriculum for the probability part is Chapters 3, 4 and 5. Here are the details:

Chapter 3 - Elements of probability
* Conditional probability
* Bayes' Formula
* Independent events

Chapter 4 - Random variables and Expectation
* Random variables, types
* Jointly distributed random vars
* Expectations
* Properties of expected value
* Variance, covariance and variance of sums of rand vars
* Moment generating func
* Chebyshev's inequality and the weak law of large numbers

Chapter 5 - Special random variables
* Bernoulli random variables
* Poisson random variable
* Hypergeometric random variable
* Uniform random variable
* Normal random variable
* Exponential random variable
* Gamma distribution
* Distributions arising from the normal
- Chi-Square, t-Distribution, F-distribution
* Logistics distribution

We cover probability first then statistics. Can anyone please recommend a good substitute that has all the above material? Anything would be useful, course notes, book(s), other materials even if they are just parts of the above chapters.

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Here's a very good site with very nice applets: http://www.uah.edu/science/departments/math/ Spending some time studying the applets could mean a world of difference for your understanding.

There are no applets as far as that site goes. It's not so much about visualizing, it's more about the textbook I quoted having very brief explanations and it's not enough. From the reviews online it seems that other students agree.

I found this book: Introduction to Probability, 2nd Edition by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, which seems to be good with good reviews. Book contents are here http://www.athenasc.com/probcontents.html.

It seems to be missing some concepts but all in all it covers most of the topics I listed, but it does so in ~500 pages. Should be interesting.

Related to Material for studying probability and statistics

1. What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the mathematical study of chance and the likelihood of events occurring. Statistics, on the other hand, is the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data in order to make informed decisions or draw conclusions.

2. Why is it important to study probability and statistics?

Probability and statistics are essential tools for understanding and making sense of the world around us. They are used in a wide range of fields, from science and engineering to business and finance, to analyze data and make predictions.

3. What are some real-life applications of probability and statistics?

Probability and statistics are used in many real-life scenarios, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, medical research, and sports analysis. They are also used in quality control to ensure the consistency and reliability of products.

4. What are some common misconceptions about probability and statistics?

One common misconception is that probability and statistics are only relevant in mathematics or science-related fields. In reality, they have applications in almost every aspect of our lives, from predicting stock market trends to analyzing social media data.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability and statistics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding is to practice solving problems and analyzing data. You can also take courses, read books and articles, and attend workshops or seminars to deepen your knowledge and skills in this area.