Material properties of Heavy water

I am new to this forum and I am looking for thermophysical properties of heavy water for my computer simulation. I have found the following properties on the web and I am wondering if they are considered correct at a reference temperature of 40 C and pressure of 6.549 kPa:- Density: 1099.99 Kg/m3- Specific heat at constant pressure: 153.36 KJ/Kg or 2230.8 Kj/kg (which one is correct?)- Dynamic viscosity: 7.848e4 Pa s- Thermal conductivity: 610.2e3 W/m K- Kinematic viscosity: 0.7135e6 m2/s- Prandtl number:
sunilpatil
Hello sir,
I am new to this forum i am looking for thermophysical properties of heavy water for my computer simulation. following properties i found in the wed. can anyone suggest me that these considered properties are correct
(ref temp 40 C and 6.549 kPa)
density = 1099.99 Kg/m3
specific heat at constant pressure = 153.36 KJ/Kg or 2230.8 Kj/kg (which one is correct)
dynamic viscosity = 7.848e4 Pa s
Thermal conductivity = 610.2e3 W/m K
Kinematic viscosity = 0.7135e6 m2/s
Pr = 5.443

Thank you
Sunil

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello sir,
Thank you for your quick reply.

Related to Material properties of Heavy water

1. What is heavy water?

Heavy water, also known as deuterium oxide, is a type of water molecule that contains a heavier isotope of hydrogen called deuterium. This means that instead of the regular hydrogen atom with one proton, heavy water has a deuterium atom with one proton and one neutron.

2. What are the physical properties of heavy water?

Heavy water has a higher density and boiling point compared to regular water. It also has a slightly different freezing point and viscosity. These differences are due to the heavier deuterium atom, which affects the overall structure and properties of the water molecule.

3. How is heavy water produced?

Heavy water can be produced through various methods, including electrolysis, distillation, and chemical exchange. The most common method is through a process called electrolysis, where a current is passed through regular water to separate out the hydrogen isotopes.

4. What are the uses of heavy water?

Heavy water has various industrial applications, such as in nuclear reactors as a moderator or coolant. It is also used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, a technique used in chemistry and biochemistry to study the structure and properties of molecules.

5. Is heavy water safe for consumption?

Heavy water is safe for consumption in small amounts, as it occurs naturally in regular water sources. However, consuming large quantities of heavy water can be harmful to the body, as it can disrupt the balance of regular water molecules in our cells.