Which Material is Best for Optimal Performance in Various Applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for material selection using CES Material Selector. They are looking for a simple shape and simple property material that meets specific limitations, such as elongation, elastic modulus, base material, composition detail, price, density, and mechanical, thermal, electrical, and optical properties. The speaker also mentions their previous project on shoe soles and the difficulty in finding specific information. They are considering options such as a bicycle frame, domestic appliance parts, power drills, and a car side mirror. The speaker asks about the specific properties of these materials and mentions the use of CES to optimize for important parameters. They also mention different parameters that may be important for different products, such as cost, strength, and weight for a bike
Spacexplorer
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Firstly, it is a basic problem. I need to decide on a part of machine or anything for material selection presentation using CES Material Selector. I need a simple shape and simple property material because I can't calculate complicate dynamic loading so I need some limitations for instance, elongation, elastic modulus, base material,composition detail, price, density, mechanical, thermal ,electrical, optical properties etc.(they are surely as range). I did my last project on shoe middle and outer sole for walking shoes but it was hard to find specific infos.

The material should be very specific using because determining of limitatons based on that. Which material is the most suitable for this situation? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bicycle frame - that's always a popular choice - lots of information about selection of material for frames on web .

Body and handle of domestic appliance such as iron or vacuum cleaner .

Any parts from power drills or other DIY tools .

Swing arm of car side mirror .

Likes billy_joule and Spacexplorer
I thank to you for your answers. If I cdo the project, I will add my presentation. I have one question about your answer. Do the choices have specific properties? For bicycle frame, can we know the applied force ?

Spacexplorer said:
Do the choices have specific properties? For bicycle frame, can we know the applied force ?
You don't need to know applied forces.
You need to identify the important parameters for the part you're optimizing for, then plug them into CES. Are optical, thermal or electrical properties important for a bike frame? Or is cost, strength and weight more important? What about a frying pan or a window pane? If you choose the right parameters the result of your optimization will match what is used in the real world.

Likes Nidum

What is material selection for?

Material selection is the process of choosing the most suitable material for a specific application or product. It involves analyzing the properties, performance, and cost of different materials to ensure the best fit for the intended use.

Why is material selection important?

The right material selection is crucial for the success and durability of a product. It can affect its performance, cost, sustainability, and overall quality. Choosing the wrong material can lead to product failure, safety hazards, and increased costs.

What are the factors to consider in material selection?

Some factors to consider in material selection include mechanical properties, such as strength and stiffness, chemical properties, such as corrosion resistance, thermal and electrical conductivity, cost, availability, and environmental impact.

How do you determine the best material for a specific application?

The best material for a specific application can be determined by analyzing the requirements and constraints of the project, conducting material testing and research, and consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to consider potential future needs and changes in the application.

What are some common mistakes in material selection?

Some common mistakes in material selection include choosing a material based on cost alone, not considering the specific requirements of the application, using a material that is not suited for the environment or conditions it will be used in, and not evaluating the long-term effects of the material.