Material: semi - conductor or metal?

In summary, the digital voltmeter has to show at least 4 digits e.g. 4.006 V. The first digit could be anything between 0 and 5, while the other three digits could be anything between to 9. To represent a no. 9, I need four bits for 1001. Similarly, to represent each of the three digits, I need 12 bits. And to represent the first digit, I need three bits. So, I need 15 bits.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-9_17-49-30.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the dependence of resistance upon the tem. is different for metal and semi - conductor ( increase of tem. decreases semi - con. resistivity while increases metal's resistivity.), option c is not the right answer.
Since the electrical conductivity is different for semi - conductor and metal and magnetic field could be taken as an electric field in a different inertial frame, option d will also reveal the nature of the material.

Is absorption spectrum of a metal and semi - conductor categorically different for the given energy - range?
Isn't absorption spectrum unique for every material?

Can the frequecy of the power source reveal the nature of the material?About q.no.39,
the digital voltmeter has to show at least four digits e.g. 4.006 V.
The first digit could be anything between 0 and 5, while the other three digits could be anything between to 9.
To represent a no. 9, I need four bits for 1001. Similarly, to represent each of the three digits, I need 12 bits. And to represent the first digit, I need three bits. So, I need 15 bits.
Or do I have to convert 5.000 into decimal system and then see how many bits are needed?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_17-49-30.png
    upload_2017-11-9_17-49-30.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 683
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Can the frequecy of the power source reveal the nature of the material?
No.

About question 39:
The minimum voltage that the meter can display is 5mV, which means 1 step= 5mV.
Calculate the maximum number of steps required.
What minimum number of bits is needed to get this number of steps?

cnh1995 said:
No.

About question 39:
The minimum voltage that the meter can display is 5mV, which means 1 step= 5mV.
Calculate the maximum number of steps required.
What minimum number of bits is needed to get this number of steps?
10 bits are needed to represent this no. 1000.
For each step, the voltmeter has to show a different signal i.e. a different combination of bits. So, the cobinations of these 10 bits show no. from 0 - 1024. How does these no. got converted into , say, 4.334 mV (as the voltmeter has to show this not from no. among 1 - 1000?

Pushoam said:
10 bits are needed to represent this no. 1000.
For each step, the voltmeter has to show a different signal i.e. a different combination of bits. So, the cobinations of these 10 bits show no. from 0 - 1024. How does these no. got converted into , say, 4.334 mV (as the voltmeter has to show this not from no. among 1 - 1000?
Any voltage below 5mV will be read as 0.

cnh1995 said:
Any voltage below 5mV will be read as 0.
Sorry, I wanted to ask how will the voltmeter show 4.435V instead of a no. among 0 - 1024?

Pushoam said:
Sorry, I wanted to ask how will the voltmeter show 4.435V instead of a no. among 0 - 1024?
Number of steps= 4.435/5mV=887.
The ADC in the voltmeter will convert 887 into digital form (10 bit) and feed it to the seven-segment display through some decoder circuitry. The voltmeter will display 4.435 on its screen (decimal point is a part of the seven-segment display).

cnh1995 said:
Number of steps= 4.435/5mV=887.
The ADC in the voltmeter will convert 887 into digital form (10 bit) and feed it to the seven-segment display through some decoder circuitry. The voltmeter will display 4.435 on its screen (decimal point is a part of the seven-segment display).
What I understood is:
We have to generate 1000 different signals for each step as we have to show 1000 different no. on the display.Using 10 bits, we can show 1000 different binary numbers. Then, using some decoder circuitry, we convert this 1000 different binary numbers into 1000 different decimal numbers. To represent the required decimal is the job of the decoder circuit which is not the part of our question.
Is this correct?

Pushoam said:
What I understood is:
We have to generate 1000 different signals for each step as we have to show 1000 different no. on the display.Using 10 bits, we can show 1000 different binary numbers. Then, using some decoder circuitry, we convert this 1000 different binary numbers into 1000 different decimal numbers. To represent the required decimal is the job of the decoder circuit which is not the part of our question.
Is this correct?
We need 0-1024 numbers (steps), which correspond to 0-5.12V, with 5mV/step resolution. And yes, the question is all about finding how many bits are required at the ADC output.

Pushoam said:
What I understood is:
Is this correct?
Here problem is restricted by saying precision of 5mv means so there is only 1000 sets of voltage

cnh1995 said:
ADC output.
What is ADC?

Thanks to all for helping me.

Pushoam said:
What is ADC?
Analog to Digital Converter.

Thank you.

What is a semi-conductor?

A semi-conductor is a type of material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor (such as copper or aluminum) and an insulator (such as rubber or plastic). This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as well as a true conductor.

What is a metal?

A metal is a type of material that is typically shiny, dense, and has good electrical and thermal conductivity. Examples of metals include iron, aluminum, copper, and gold.

What are the differences between a semi-conductor and a metal?

The main difference between a semi-conductor and a metal is their level of electrical conductivity. While metals have high conductivity, semi-conductors have intermediate conductivity. Additionally, semi-conductors can have their conductivity modified by adding impurities or applying an electric field, while metals always have a fixed level of conductivity.

What are some common uses of semi-conductors?

Semi-conductors are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. They are also used in solar panels, as well as in transistors and diodes, which are important components in electronic circuits.

Why are semi-conductors important in technology?

Semi-conductors play a crucial role in modern technology because of their ability to control and modify electrical conductivity. This allows for the creation of electronic devices that can perform a wide range of functions, making them essential in fields such as communication, computing, and renewable energy.