Material starting form for stub axle

In summary, the shape of a stub axle will vary depending on the quantity of products being made. For maximum strength to weight ratio, a stub axle needs to be forged from steel.
Saints-94
I am unsure whether I am posting in the right place, but was hoping someone could help me out.

I was wondering if anyone knows the shape of the material at the beginning of the manufacturing process of a stub axle, and how the shape will vary depending on the quantity of products being made (eg. one off, small batch and mass production). Only looking for basic ideas, nothing too in-depth.

See image of stub axle below.
upload_2017-3-12_17-34-13.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Machined from solid . Usually from long lengths of close to size plain bar .
Machined from forging . Very close to final shape and size - minimal metal removal to finish .
Machined from steel casting . Same as forging .

Nidum said:
Machined from solid . Usually from long lengths of close to size plain bar .
Machined from forging . Very close to final shape and size - minimal metal removal to finish .
Machined from steel casting . Same as forging .

Thanks for your response.

However, I have been advised that cast form is inapproriate due to its high structural integrity. Are there any alternatives?

However, I have been advised that cast form is inapproriate due to its high structural integrity.

Not quite sure what you are saying there - can you explain a bit more ?

There are certainly other ways to make stub axles and similar components .

One that works well but is seldom used in production is the two part assembly where the actual axle is friction welded to the flange .

What is your interest in this subject ?

Saints-94 said:
However, I have been advised that cast form is inappropriate due to its high structural integrity. Are there any alternatives?
You mean the device needs to be stronger than cast iron ? (or do you mean that cast form has high structural integrity which you don't want :rolleyes:)

The thing resembles a bolt - so http://blog.mechguru.com/machine-design/7-steps-manufacturing-process-bolts-screws-stud-fasteners/ is where I'd look.

Last edited by a moderator:
For quantity production.
For maximum strength to weight ratio, a stub axle needs to be forged from steel. Forging will allow the stretched fibres in the steel to follow the lines that will carry load when in operation. You could start with a short round bar. Upset or spread one end to make the flange, while thinning and lengthening the shaft. Once the basic shape has been formed it will need to be annealed to relieve stress and hard spots, then machined and finally surface hardened.

For small quantity production it could be turned from a rectangular block of steel in a lathe. That would be slow and wasteful.

You might also consider fabricating it from a flat square block with the round bar pressed into a central through hole. The bar would then be welded on the back of the flat plate with a deep V groove. That would not be the strongest for weight solution as the press fit would be at a stress concentration.

Likes Averagesupernova, Wilson123 and Saints-94
For small quantities only, you might start with a weldment (short shaft inserted through a block, full penetration weld on all edges) and then machine to final shape.

For larger quantity, a forging is the way to go.

1. What is a stub axle?

A stub axle is a component of a vehicle's suspension system that connects the wheel to the steering mechanism. It allows the wheel to rotate while also supporting the weight of the vehicle.

2. What materials are commonly used to make stub axles?

The most frequently used materials for stub axles are steel, aluminum, and cast iron. These materials are strong and durable, able to withstand the weight and forces of a vehicle's suspension system.

3. How is a material chosen for a stub axle?

The material chosen for a stub axle is based on the specific needs and requirements of the vehicle's suspension system. Factors such as weight, strength, and durability are considered when selecting a material.

4. What is the manufacturing process for creating a stub axle?

The manufacturing process for a stub axle involves casting or forging the chosen material into the desired shape and then machining it to create the necessary features and dimensions. It is then heat treated to increase its strength and durability.

5. Are there any alternatives to using metal for a stub axle?

While metal is the most commonly used material for stub axles, there are alternative materials such as carbon fiber and composite materials. These materials are lighter and stronger than metal, but they are also more expensive and may not be suitable for all vehicles.