Math competition combinatorics problem help?

In summary, the question is asking in how many ways can Amy, Beth, and Jo like different songs, with no song being liked by all three and at least one song being liked by each pair of girls. After considering all possible cases, the total number of ways is 168. However, the correct answer is (B) 132, as the order of liking the songs does not matter and we need to use the binomial coefficient instead of multiplication.
Boorglar
This is a question taken from the AMC 2012 12 B exam held in February.

I did not answer it during the exam, but now I try to complete all of it at home. I thought I found a solution, but it is not in the proposed choices, and so I am really lost... And the solution is not available for this question, for some reason.

" Amy, Beth and Jo listen to four different songs and discuss which ones they like. No song is liked by all three. Furthermore, for each of the three pairs of the girls, there is at least one song liked by those two girls but disliked by the third. In how many ways is this possible?

(A) 108 (B) 132 (C) 671 (D) 846 (E) 1105 "

My answer was 168, which is not in the list. Apparently, the answer is supposed to be (B).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is my attempt at a solution:

First, we can see that a maximum of 2 songs can be liked by any pair of girls at the same time, because if 3 songs are liked by, say, both A and B, then J cannot like any of these (otherwise it would be liked by all 3 girls). So J likes only one song. But she must share this song with A and with B, again a contradiction.

Now consider the case where only one song is shared for each pair. The first pair has 4 possible songs. Then the second pair has 3 possible songs (since the first song cannot be liked also by the second pair). Then the third pair has 2 possible songs (again for this reason). Finally, the last song will be either liked by A, B, J or nobody at all (but not two people at once, because I consider the case where only one song is shared in each pair). This makes 4 additional possibilities. In total, there are 4*3*2*4 possibilities in this case.

Now consider the case where at least one pair shares two songs. Only one pair can share two songs together, otherwise, say A and B like songs 1 and 2, and B and J like songs 3 and 4. Then the pair A and J will like either 1, 2, 3 or 4 but then this song will be liked by everyone, which is impossible. So there is only one pair sharing two songs. There are 3 pairs, so 3 possibilities for the pair that shares two songs. Now for this pair, there are 4 possibilities for the 1st song, and 3 possibilities for the second song. The second pair has two possibilities for their own song, which leaves only one possibility for the third pair. In total, there are 3*4*3*2*1 possibilities in this case.

These are all the possible cases, so adding everything we get 4*3*2*4 + 3*4*3*2*1 = 96 + 72 = 168.

So there are 168 ways possible.

Now for this pair, there are 4 possibilities for the 1st song, and 3 possibilities for the second song.
But the order in which they like them doesn't matter.

O_O you're right! I hadn't thought about that... So it is the binomial coefficient (4 2) = 6, instead of 4*3=12 because we care about the combinations.

Thanks, I really should have seen that, but it's tricky...

It is difficult to provide an accurate response without seeing your proposed solution and the given choices. However, based on the information provided, it seems that you may have made an error in your calculation. It is also possible that the answer key is incorrect or that there is a typo in the given choices. I suggest double-checking your solution and considering other possible alternatives before determining the correct answer. Additionally, you may want to reach out to the organizers of the competition for clarification or to report any discrepancies in the provided answer key. As a scientist, it is important to always double-check and verify our solutions and to be open to considering alternative perspectives and solutions.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic manner. It involves using principles and techniques to solve problems related to combinations, permutations, and probability.

2. How do I approach a combinatorics problem in a math competition?

To solve a combinatorics problem in a math competition, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information, and determine what needs to be solved. Then, use the appropriate combinatorial techniques such as counting, combinations, or permutations to find the solution. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of combinatorics problems beforehand.

3. What are some common techniques used in combinatorics?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics include the fundamental counting principle, combinations and permutations, the binomial theorem, and the inclusion-exclusion principle. These techniques are used to solve a wide variety of combinatorial problems.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving combinatorics problems for math competitions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving combinatorics problems for math competitions is through practice. You can find practice problems online or in books specifically geared towards combinatorics. It is also helpful to study and understand the different techniques and strategies used in combinatorics. Additionally, participating in math competitions and receiving feedback from judges can also help improve your skills.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with combinatorics problems for math competitions?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help with combinatorics problems for math competitions. Some popular websites include Brilliant, Art of Problem Solving, and the Mathematical Association of America's website. These websites offer practice problems, tutorials, and forums where you can discuss and learn from others. There are also many YouTube channels and blogs dedicated to teaching combinatorics techniques and strategies.