Need help with Mechanic Energy math problem.

In summary: Good!In summary, a little girl is sliding down a snowy hill on her sledge and her mom, who is interested in physics, wants to know the maximum speed the sledge can reach. The hill is 3.0m high and 6.0m long, and the sledge slides for 12.5m before stopping. The friction on the hill is 85% of the friction on the flat area. Using the equations for potential and kinetic energy, the final answer is 6.5m/s.
Anhkha

Homework Statement

"A little girl is sliding down a snowy hill on her sledge and out on a horizontall flat area. The girl has a physics interested mom which wants to know what the maxium speed the sledge can reach. She measures that the hill is 3,0m high and 6,0m long. The sledge slides for 12.5m before stoping. She belives that the friction power on the hill is 85% of hte friction power of the flat area. What is the highest maxium speed the sledge can reach?

The answer is supposed to be 6.5m/s

This is my terible drawing i made

wOG0an5.png

Homework Equations

W=-Rs
Ek =1/2 mv^2
Ep= mgh
Ek+Ep=Ek0+Ep0+W

The Attempt at a Solution

At the end i reach
V=sqrt(mgh/(1.85*0.888)), which equals to the wrong answer..
I don't even know. i have tried to solve this for like 2 hours now and its driving me crazy.

Any help would be apprecieated a lot.

Sorry for the bad english, i translated the problem from Norwegian to English.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you drew the picture from the wording of the problem? What I questioned is if the flat portion is 12.5 meters or 6.5 meters. Is it clear in the original language?

TomHart said:
So you drew the picture from the wording of the problem? What I questioned is if the flat portion is 12.5 meters or 6.5 meters. Is it clear in the original language?

The flat portion is 12.5m.
6.5m is from the diagonal line from the top of the hill to the flat area. Sorry for late answer, just took bus from library to home.
Maybe this drawing can clear some things up.
6C9vTPc.png

Thank you. There is enough information to reach a final numeric answer. So your final answer should be a number only (plus units).

So the basic problem is that you start out with all of the sled's energy being potential energy. The sled accelerates down the hill and all of that potential energy goes to one of two places - either converted to kinetic energy of the sled or is dissipated (Work). So at the bottom of the hill, the sled will only have kinetic energy. At the end of the flat portion, all of that kinetic energy will have been dissipated (Work) and the sled will have v = 0 m/s. So it looks like this is a problem where you have to solve both portions (hill and flat) simultaneously, because there is not enough information given to solve either part by itself.

Can you show some of your work - how to start the problem?

Here is some of my calulations, warning: this might be completely wrong.
EDIT: s=distance. S is distance in my language :)
s6ZRTsy.png

Last edited:
TomHart said:
Thank you. There is enough information to reach a final numeric answer. So your final answer should be a number only (plus units).

So the basic problem is that you start out with all of the sled's energy being potential energy. The sled accelerates down the hill and all of that potential energy goes to one of two places - either converted to kinetic energy of the sled or is dissipated (Work). So at the bottom of the hill, the sled will only have kinetic energy. At the end of the flat portion, all of that kinetic energy will have been dissipated (Work) and the sled will have v = 0 m/s. So it looks like this is a problem where you have to solve both portions (hill and flat) simultaneously, because there is not enough information given to solve either part by itself.

Can you show some of your work - how to start the problem?

I posted some of my calculations above which might be completely wrong. However i will try to do make some more calulculatiions i can post.

Known
h0=3.0m
d1=6.0 m (From top of the hill diagonaly down to the flat area)
d2= 12.5 m (Flat area)
Ep=0J (Since no potenial energy at the end of the ride)
Ek0=0j (Since no movement at the top of the hill)
Friction on d1 is 85% of the friction power to d2
Unknown
V(Velocity)

Check your math in the second to the last row of your work. You have 0.888 in the denominator. That doesn't look right according to my calculations.

Edit: Actually, what you did is an illegal math operation going from the previous row to that row. You can't add 1 + 0.85 in that situation.

isnt 1.85*6
TomHart said:
Check your math in the second to the last row of your work. You have 0.888 in the denominator. That doesn't look right according to my calculations.

Edit: Actually, what you did is an illegal math operation going from the previous row to that row. You can't add 1 + 0.85 in that situation.
Isnt 1.85*(6/12.5)=0.888?
1.85*(0.48)=0.888?

TomHart said:

Oh! Didnt see that!i Will try to see if i get something else. Thank you
EDIT: Solved! Cant believe i used to hours to figure out a stupid mistake like that haha. Thank you a lot!

Likes TomHart
1 + (0.85)(6/12.5) ≠ (1 + 0.85)(6/12.5)

Edit: Never mind. I see that you got it.

1. What is mechanic energy?

Mechanic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or motion. It can be either potential energy, which is the energy an object has due to its position, or kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How do you calculate mechanic energy?

Mechanic energy can be calculated using the formula E = U + K, where E is the total mechanic energy, U is the potential energy, and K is the kinetic energy.

3. What are some examples of mechanic energy?

Some examples of mechanic energy are a ball sitting on top of a hill (potential energy), a pendulum swinging back and forth (a combination of potential and kinetic energy), and a car driving down a hill (a combination of potential and kinetic energy).

4. What are the units of mechanic energy?

Mechanic energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How can I use mechanic energy in real life?

Mechanic energy is used in various real-life applications, such as roller coasters, wind turbines, and water dams. It can also be harnessed to power machines and vehicles, making our daily lives easier and more efficient.