Math contest division question

In summary, the problem involves equations with three variables (x, y, and Q) and two given equations. The solution involves multiplying the first equation by y and the second equation by x to eliminate fractions, and then plugging in the expression for x from the first equation into the second equation to find a value for y. The final answers given by the teacher are x = 43 and y = 12.
timelesstrix0
The question is : If x > 0 and I divide x by y, the quotient is 3 and remainder is 7. If I divide y by x the remainder is 12. what is the value of x?

So far I used long division quotient form to make 2 equations...

1. x/y = 3 + 7/y
2. y/x = Q(quotient) + 12/x

so 1st equation i solve for y and get y = x/3 - 7/3
2nd equation i solve for y and get y = Q(x) + 12the final answers that the teacher told me were that x = 43 and y = 12
can anyone explain how i can solve this please?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would multiply the first equation by y and the second equation by x to get rid of fractions. Afterwards you can plug the expression for x from the first equation into the second equation and look for possible values of y (in both equations).

If you have three variables then you should also have three equations.
Here, you have three variables(x, y, and Q) but two equations. Plz make sure the value of Q is given or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepak suwalka said:
If you have tree variables then you should also have three equations.
Here, you have three variables(x, y, and Q) but two equations. Plz make sure the value of Q is given or not.
There are only two equations, but there is an assumption that x,y,Q ∈ ℕ, which limits the problem to a single solution.

1. What is a math contest division question?

A math contest division question is a problem or puzzle that requires mathematical skills and knowledge to solve. These questions are often used in math competitions to test students' abilities and understanding of various mathematical concepts.

2. How do I prepare for a math contest division question?

To prepare for a math contest division question, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and statistics. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of math problems and puzzles to improve problem-solving skills.

3. What types of math problems are typically included in a math contest division question?

Math contest division questions can vary in difficulty and type, but they often include problems related to number theory, geometry, algebraic manipulation, and logic. Some questions may also involve real-life applications of math concepts.

4. How can I improve my speed in solving math contest division questions?

One way to improve speed in solving math contest division questions is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common mathematical patterns and shortcuts. Additionally, learning to approach problems systematically and efficiently can also help in solving them quickly.

5. Can I use a calculator in a math contest division question?

It depends on the rules of the specific math contest. Some contests may allow the use of calculators, while others may not. It is important to check the rules beforehand and practice solving problems without a calculator to be prepared for any situation.