Math Courses Relevant to General Relativity

In summary, a rising math major with an interest in General Relativity is considering graduate work in the field and is seeking advice on the most relevant pure math courses. From research, it seems that mathematical relativists mainly use analysis, PDE, and geometry, and some leading names in the field include Dafermos, Rodnianski, Christodoulou, and Kleinerman. Additionally, it is suggested to study group theory, calculus of variations, numerical methods, fluid dynamics, classical mechanics, and tensors, with a focus on courses that use tensor notation. Linear algebra may also be beneficial for quantitative problem-solving.
diligence
I'm a rising math major with a developing interest in General Relativity. I think the idea of studying Relativity from a mathematicians perspective sounds very appealing for graduate work. Besides differential geometry and partial differential equations, what are the most relevant pure math courses to this area of research? Also, how about applied courses as well as non-linear dynamics type stuff? Do this subjects find relevance in GR?

One of the reasons I ask is because I'm trying to decide if I should continue on to graduate-level algebra courses, as well as topology, or if I should just stick with analysis and geometry.

Thanks for any advice you may give.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think mathematical relativists mainly use analysis, PDE, and of course geometry. It's not my field, however, so I wouldn't be able to give you totally sound advice. What I can do is list off some leading mathematical relativists, and you can look up their papers on arxiv.org to see what sort of techniques are being used. I'd look up Dafermos, Rodnianski, Christodoulou, and Kleinerman to start. The only one I know is Dafermos but he is very nice, and if you emailed him about it he would probably respond.

Group theory.
Calculus of Variations.

Numerical methods.
Fluid Dynamics. Classical Mechanics.

Tensors.

cuallito said:
Tensors.

+1

Not all differential geometry courses use tensor notation, so I'd suggest doing one that does. I'm surprised no one has said linear algebra. I'm certainly no expert on GR, but I have studied it and from memory a basic understanding of linear algebra help with some of the manipulation of, for example, metric tensors, when actually looking for quantitative answers to a problem.

Related to Math Courses Relevant to General Relativity

1. How much advanced math is required for understanding general relativity?

A thorough understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential geometry is necessary for comprehending the mathematical concepts involved in general relativity. These include tensor calculus, Riemannian geometry, and the theory of manifolds.

2. Are there any specific math courses that are particularly relevant to general relativity?

Yes, several math courses are directly applicable to general relativity, including differential geometry, tensor analysis, and Riemannian geometry. Other relevant courses may include calculus, linear algebra, and topology.

3. What is the role of tensor calculus in general relativity?

Tensor calculus is used to describe the curvature of space-time in general relativity. It allows for the precise mathematical representation of the relationships between space, time, and matter, which are essential for understanding the theory.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to study general relativity?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is beneficial for studying general relativity, it is not essential. With dedication and effort, anyone can grasp the mathematical concepts involved in the theory.

5. Are there any online resources for learning the necessary math for general relativity?

Yes, there are numerous online resources available for learning the math needed for general relativity. These include online courses, lectures, textbooks, and practice problems. It is also helpful to consult with a math professor or tutor for additional guidance and support.