Math & David Hume: Tangents & Circles

• Thread starter thinkandmull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, David Hume, a philosopher, makes a comment on math in which he observes that the angle of contact between a circle and its tangent decreases as the diameter of the circle increases. He also notes that this phenomenon can be seen with other curves and their tangents, and that this concept was not fully understood at the time due to the limited understanding of calculus. This observation ultimately leads to the understanding of curvature.
thinkandmull
I recent came across this paragraph by David Hume. Although he is considered a philosopher, he tried to make comments on math as well. I find this one interesting, but I have no idea what it means and what he is getting at. Out of pure curiosity, does anyone else know what this means?: "The angle of contact between a circle and its tangent is infinitely less than any rectilinear angle, so that as you may increase the diameter of the circle to infinity, this angle of contact becomes still less, even in infinity, and that the angle of contact between other curves and their tangents may be infinitely less than those between any circle and its tangent, and so on, infinity".

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think he's observing that if you look at a tangent touching a circle, you get a sort of intuitive feel of their making a small angle, which I think is the brain making a kind of practical average of the angles of the gradients of the circle over the parts of the approach to the contact point that we can make out.

But then if we zoom in with a magnifier, that apparent angle gets smaller. The more we zoom in and magnify, the smaller it appears, and there is no theoretical limit to that shrinking, because the actual 'angle' at the contact point is zero.

These days we have a mathematical language that enables us to understand and express that much more concisely and clearly. But we need to remember that Hume was writing not long after Newton and Leibniz, and the tools of calculus were not widely understood, and their consequences were not yet much explored.

I don't know what he was getting at with the last bit that starts with 'and that the angle of contact between other curves...'. It's quite likely that it's just a red herring and he got confused. Hume was an unparalleled genius (IMHO) but I think we can forgive him not being an expert on calculus, given that that wasn't his forte, and the era when he was writing.

I didn't know that the angle formed by two straight lines is always greater than that formed by two circles touching each other at one point

I think this is the kind of writing you'd expect from people who are in the process of discovering calculus. It shows that nowadays (through huge efforts), calculus is much better understood. Basically, the thing he seems to be going for is curvature.

Related to Math & David Hume: Tangents & Circles

What is the relationship between math and David Hume's philosophy?

The relationship between math and David Hume's philosophy is that Hume believed that mathematics was a product of human reasoning and did not have any inherent truth or existence in the physical world. He argued that math was a useful tool for understanding the world, but it was not a reflection of reality.

What is a tangent in math?

In math, a tangent is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, without crossing through it. This point of contact is called the point of tangency. Tangents are commonly used in geometry to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

How are tangents and circles related?

In geometry, tangents and circles are closely related. A tangent is a line that touches a circle at only one point, known as the point of tangency. This point is always perpendicular to the radius of the circle at that point. Additionally, the tangent line and the radius of a circle form a right angle.

What is the difference between a secant and a tangent?

A secant is a line that intersects a circle at two points, while a tangent only touches the circle at one point. In other words, a secant "cuts" through the circle, while a tangent only "touches" it.

In what ways did David Hume's philosophy impact the study of math?

David Hume's philosophy had a significant impact on the study of math. His skepticism towards the existence of absolute truths and his emphasis on human reasoning and perception influenced the development of non-Euclidean geometry and the theory of relativity. Additionally, his ideas sparked discussions about the nature of mathematical concepts and their relationship to reality.