Math expression for a developing waveform?

In summary, the conversation is about representing waves mathematically and specifically discussing the concept of a "developing wave." The participants are wondering if there is a way to mathematically describe a wave that grows in one direction and fades in the other, and if there is a name for this type of wave. They also mention the possibility of using parametric equations to describe this behavior. Lastly, they ask for recommendations on resources to learn more about equations in time-dependent domains.
Sturk200
Hi all! I have a question about representing waves mathematically. I hope it will make sense.

The waves I've been learning about are of the form F(x-vt), which represents a wave-form, every point of which is translated spatially with velocity v. I am wondering if there is a way to mathematically represent something that might be called a "developing wave." (I don't know if there is a name for this -- probably there is but I'm not aware of it). I am imagining something like a sine function which at time t=0 is defined on the interval, say, x in [0,1], but as time goes on the interval widens. So the function would be like sin[x], x in [0,vt]. This would be like a wave whose individual points do not themselves propagate, but which sort of grows in one direction and perhaps fades from the other end with passing time. Would it even make sense to call this a wave? Is there a mathematical apparatus that might help me to think about this kind of object? Are there physical phenomena that display this kind of form?

Thanks for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So I just ran a search on "time dependent domains" and found a few interesting studies of wave equations in time dependent domains.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022039679900275

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022247X9090230D

However, these are slightly above my level. I have never been exposed to time-dependent domains in my coursework. Does anybody have a textbook-style reference for someone interested in learning about equations in time-dependent domains? Thanks again.

(Or maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way and there is a way to describe the "developing wave" behavior using some kind of parametric equations? Maybe x=sin(t), y=vt)

Last edited:

1. What is a developing waveform?

A developing waveform is a mathematical expression that represents the change of a variable over time. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of different systems, such as electrical circuits, sound waves, and biological processes.

2. How is a developing waveform different from a static waveform?

A developing waveform is constantly changing, while a static waveform remains constant over time. This means that a developing waveform has a variable value at any given point in time, while a static waveform has a fixed value.

3. What are the key components of a developing waveform?

The key components of a developing waveform include amplitude, frequency, and phase. Amplitude refers to the height or strength of the waveform, frequency represents the number of times the waveform repeats in a given time period, and phase describes the position of the waveform in relation to a starting point.

4. How can a developing waveform be represented mathematically?

A developing waveform can be represented mathematically using functions such as sine, cosine, or exponential functions. These functions can be combined and manipulated to create complex waveforms that accurately represent real-world phenomena.

5. What are some real-life applications of developing waveforms?

Developing waveforms have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, biology, and finance. They can be used to analyze and design electrical circuits, create and manipulate sound waves, study biological processes, and model financial trends.