Function describing a moving waveform

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of factoring a function into a product of two functions and whether this represented a traveling or standing wave. It was determined that for real-valued functions, a standing wave can be factored into a spatial function and a temporal function, while a traveling wave is represented by a translation of the same waveform along the x-axis. It was also mentioned that a function with an increasing amplitude is not a moving wave, but a function with a periodic amplitude can be considered a standing wave. The question of whether any arbitrary spatial function can be multiplied by a temporal function to produce a traveling wave was left open for further discussion.
fog37
Hello Forum,
  • I am first wondering about the possibility to factor a function ##f(x,t)## into a product of two functions, i.e. ##g(x) p(t)##. Is there any general rule that tells us if this decomposition is possible based on the characteristics of the function ##f(x,t)##?
  • If a function ##f(x,t)## is to represent a traveling wave, the same waveform ##f(x,t_0)## at time ##t_0## must be translated along the x-axis at later times ##t##: $$f(x-vt)$$
The function ##f(x,t)## and ##f(x-vt)## are the same waveforms, just translated in space by a factor ##vt##.

• A standing wave is a wave that does not move or travel. For real-valued functions, the function describing a standing wave ca be factored: $$f(x,t)=g(x)p(t)$$ This means that the spatial function ##g(x)## is not translated but just modulated by the temporal function ##p(t)##. However, if the function ##g(t)## is not periodic, I think the product ##f(x,t)=g(x)p(t)## does not represent a standing wave but a traveling wave! Is that correct? could anyone provide further insight into this?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you simply take a standing wave and then make position time dependent instead of a translation?

Sorry fresh_42, I am not sure what you exactly mean. So, let's say we have function $$f(x,t)= [sin(x)] [e^{3t}]$$

where ##g(x)=sin(x)## and ##p(t)=e^{3t}##. What do you exactly suggest doing at this point?

fog37 said:
Sorry fresh_42, I am not sure what you exactly mean. So, let's say we have function $$f(x,t)= [sin(x)] [e^{3t}]$$

where ##g(x)=sin(x)## and ##p(t)=e^{3t}##. What do you exactly suggest doing at this point?
This is a wave with an increasing amplitude, not a moving wave. I thought, a wave is ##f(x)=A(x)\cdot \sin(\omega x)## if you want to have a variable amplitude. Now just make the position time dependent, ##x=x(t)##, e.g. ##x=v \cdot t## which in this case with a constant velocity is the same as considering the variable as time flow.

Actually, the function I gave seems to not be a moving wave: the spatial structure is a sine wave and the amplitude at each point, as you mention, increases exponentially with time. I don't see any oscillatory behavior or translational behavior.

A function like ##f(x,t)= sin(x) cos(t)## is instead a standing wave: the wave does not move but the amplitude at each point oscillates harmonically in time since ##cos(t)## is periodic.

I am still wondering if, given an arbitrary spatial function ##g(x)##, we can multiply it by a temporal function ##p(t)## and obtain a traveling wave ##f(x,t)=g(x) p(t)##...

1. What is a function describing a moving waveform?

A function describing a moving waveform is a mathematical equation that represents the pattern of a waveform as it changes over time. It can be used to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of the waveform at any given time.

2. How is a function describing a moving waveform different from a stationary waveform?

A stationary waveform remains in a fixed position, while a moving waveform changes position over time. A function describing a moving waveform takes into account the change in position over time, while a function describing a stationary waveform does not.

3. What are the key components of a function describing a moving waveform?

The key components of a function describing a moving waveform include the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the waveform. The amplitude represents the maximum displacement of the waveform, the frequency represents the number of cycles per unit time, and the phase represents the starting point of the waveform.

4. How can a function describing a moving waveform be used in real-world applications?

A function describing a moving waveform can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of waves in the ocean, analyzing the performance of a car engine, or designing electronic circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using a function describing a moving waveform?

While a function describing a moving waveform can accurately model many physical systems, it is not a perfect representation of reality. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for external forces or disturbances that may affect the motion of the waveform. Additionally, it may not be able to accurately model complex systems with multiple moving waveforms interacting with each other.