Math Help for Physics Undergrad: Advice Needed

In summary, you are seeking advice on how to improve your math skills for your physics undergraduate degree. You are a student in the US and are currently in your third year of your physics program. You have taken math classes up to this point, and your grades in those classes were largely satisfactory. However, you have stated that the math in physics is a different language than mathematics in mathematics, and you think that learning the language would be key to succeeding in physics.
astrofanatic
TL;DR Summary: help with math for physics undergraduate degree - advice needed

Hello! I'm studying physics for my undergraduate degree. I have a question, and if anyone can help I'd truly appreciate it. I have problems with the math part. I love physics (concepts, research, findings) but i do definitely need help with the math part. I really want to graduate from this degree, so can someone please give me tile?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what's the nature of the help you are seeking. You should be more specific.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
astrofanatic said:
I really want to graduate from this degree, so can someone please give me tile?
What does "give me tile" mean?

Which mathematics courses have you taken and how well did you do in them (i.e., your grades)?
Are you currently a university student?
If so, what year are you in?

Likes vanhees71
Mark44 said:
I wondered about that too, so I did a Google search on give me tile but that basically got me to the Home Depot website. Sigh.

Then I tried slang: give me tile and let's just say that it returned something NSFPF... :wink:

Likes opperator and vanhees71
astrofanatic said:
TL;DR Summary: help with math for physics undergraduate degree - advice needed

Hello! I'm studying physics for my undergraduate degree. I have a question, and if anyone can help I'd truly appreciate it. I have problems with the math part. I love physics (concepts, research, findings) but i do definitely need help with the math part. I really want to graduate from this degree, so can someone please give me tile?
I think, i.e. it is my opinion, that mathematics in physics is a different language than mathematics in mathematics. It can help a lot if you consider this since learning a language is different from learning theorems. There are a lot of technical aspects in the mathematics of physics: coordinates, indexes, and bases (vectors) are everywhere and a lot of the mathematics around them are techniques to handle them: Einstein notation, tensor notation, raising and lowering indices, (partial) derivatives as basis vectors, adjoint, hermitian, unitary operators, matrices, and so on. As a physicist, you primarily learn the methods to deal with them. Of course, you need to know the differences between those and roughly what they are. But if a physicist says curvature, then he thinks of a tensor. However, a tensor for a mathematician is multilinear in the first place, and not at all anything curved!

So my advice is: consider the math you need for physics as a language that physicists use to communicate. Learn that language, not that math. It is a mathematical language so you cannot avoid all the mathematics behind it, but its usage differs in both fields.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21, gmax137 and berkeman
berkeman said:
I wondered about that too, so I did a Google search on give me tile but that basically got me to the Home Depot website. Sigh.

Then I tried slang: give me tile and let's just say that it returned something NSFPF... :wink:
I tried a Google search on give me tile and got the same results. I followed your suggested search and learned a few things. I must be slow this morning, I can't figure what NSFPF means, lol.

Not Safe For PF :wink:

Likes gmax137 and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Not Safe For PF :wink:
Similar to NSFW -- not safe for work

Likes berkeman
@astrofanatic the last time you had posted was in the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ing-to-graduate-on-time.1051710/#post-6875791

From the previous thread, it appears that you were struggling with one of your physics classes, which turns out to be a prerequisite for your other physics classes.

I have the following questions:

1. Are you a student in the US? If not, where are you studying?

2. How far along are you in your physics program?

3. What math classes have you taken thus far? What were your grades in those?

I would suggest you answer these questions to us before we are in the position to offer any constructive advice.

Mark44 said:
I read it as a typo for "give me time". But we'll need the OP to confirm. Of course, the OP could be replacing flooring and needs donations. :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21

1. What is the importance of math in studying physics?

Math is essential in understanding and solving problems in physics. It provides a precise and logical framework for describing the physical world and making predictions about the behavior of objects and systems.

2. What math topics should I focus on for physics?

The most important math topics for physics undergraduates include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. It's also helpful to have a strong understanding of trigonometry and geometry.

3. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

Practice and persistence are key to improving your math skills for physics. Make sure to do plenty of practice problems and seek help from professors, tutors, or peers if you are struggling with a particular concept.

4. Are there any online resources for math help in physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for math help in physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Forums. You can also find helpful videos, practice problems, and study guides on these platforms.

5. How can I apply math concepts to real-world physics problems?

To apply math concepts to real-world physics problems, it's important to understand the physical principles behind the problem and then use mathematical equations and formulas to solve it. Make sure to practice applying math to different types of physics problems to improve your skills.