Is the Calculated Osculating Plane and Binormal Correct for $\theta=0$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter WMDhamnekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of the osculating plane and the binormal of a curve at a specific point. The provided equations and calculations show that the answer to question (a) is correct, and the binormal at point (2,0,0) is $\left[0,\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\right]$. The conversation also includes the equation of the curve and the tangent and unit tangent vectors at $\theta=0$.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
1624277707751.png

I am working on this question. Any math help, hint or even correct answer will be accepted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Answer to question (a): The equation of the osculating plane at $\theta=0$ is $-\sqrt{\frac16}x + \sqrt{\frac23}z -\sqrt{\frac16}=0$ and binormal $\hat{B}(\theta=0)=\left[-\sqrt{\frac16},-\sqrt{\frac16},\sqrt{\frac23}\right]$

Is this answer correct? In my opinion, it should be correct.

Answer (b):$\vec{r}(\theta)=\left[2\cosh{\frac{\theta}{2}}, 2\sinh{\frac{\theta}{2}},2\theta\right] \implies \vec{r'}(\theta)=\left[\sinh{\frac{\theta}{2}}, \cosh{\frac{\theta}{2}},2\right],||\vec{r'}(\theta)||=\sqrt{\sinh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+\cosh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+4}$
$||\vec{r'}(\theta)||_{(\theta=0)}=\sqrt{[0,1,4]}=\sqrt{5}, \hat{T}(\theta)=\left[\frac{\sinh{\frac{\theta}{2}}}{\sqrt{\sinh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+\cosh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+4}}, \frac{\cosh{\frac{\theta}{2}}}{\sqrt{\sinh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+\cosh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+4}},\frac{2}{ \sqrt{\sinh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+\cosh^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}+4}} \right],\hat{T}(\theta)_{(\theta=0)}=[0,\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}]$

Equation of the osculating plane at $\theta=0$ is 0 and binormal to the curve at point (2,0,0) is $\left[0,\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\right]$

Last edited:

1. What kind of math help is needed?

The type of math help needed can vary depending on the individual's specific needs. It could range from basic arithmetic to more advanced topics such as calculus or statistics.

2. Who can provide assistance?

There are many resources available for math help, including teachers, tutors, online resources, and study groups. It is important to find a reliable and knowledgeable source for assistance.

3. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills takes practice and persistence. Some tips for improving math skills include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some common math mistakes to avoid?

Some common math mistakes to avoid include not checking your work, not understanding the problem, and relying too heavily on a calculator. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the concepts behind the problem.

5. How can I make math more enjoyable?

Math can be made more enjoyable by finding real-world applications for the concepts being learned, using interactive and hands-on activities, and setting achievable goals. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not get discouraged by challenges.