Math Help: Solve 2 Questions with Isoceles Triangle

• Thread starter ohlhauc1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, two questions are presented. The first question involves finding the minimum distance between points P and Q with a third point R on the line x=-1. The second question involves an isosceles triangle with a rectangle inside, and finding the maximum area and dimensions of the rectangle. Hints are given for both questions.
ohlhauc1
I have two questions that I need help with. I desperately need help with them. They are:

1. The coordinates of points P and Q are (1,2) and (2,-3) respectively, and R is a point on the line x=-1. Find the coordinates of R so that PR + RQ is a minimum.

2. An isoceles triangle has a base of 6m and a height of 4m with a rectangle in it that touches all three sides so that there is a rectangle, triangle on top, and two triangles on the sides. (Sorry for the description, but I couldn't put the image here).

a) Find the maximum area and dimensions of the rectangle within the triangle.
b) Repeat part a) for a rectangle inside a isoceles triangle with a base of 4m and a height of 12m.
c) Compare the dimensions of the base and height of each isosceles triagnle with the dimensions of each rectangle found in parts a) and b). What do you notice?

Physics news on Phys.org
first, question is
[tex] PR + RQ [/tex]
the corresponding distances between the points?
second question, i am not picturing your description of the geometry, what do you mean there is an isoceles triangle with a rectangle in it?

ohlhauc1, Please show what you have already done on this problem.

ohlhauc1 said:
I have two questions that I need help with. I desperately need help with them. They are:

1. The coordinates of points P and Q are (1,2) and (2,-3) respectively, and R is a point on the line x=-1. Find the coordinates of R so that PR + RQ is a minimum.

2. An isoceles triangle has a base of 6m and a height of 4m with a rectangle in it that touches all three sides so that there is a rectangle, triangle on top, and two triangles on the sides. (Sorry for the description, but I couldn't put the image here).

a) Find the maximum area and dimensions of the rectangle within the triangle.
b) Repeat part a) for a rectangle inside a isoceles triangle with a base of 4m and a height of 12m.
c) Compare the dimensions of the base and height of each isosceles triagnle with the dimensions of each rectangle found in parts a) and b). What do you notice?
I'll give you some hints to start off the problem, in case you don't know where to start:
For 1. You should use triangle inequality.
For 2. The first thing you have to do is to find the relation between the width, and the length of the rectangle.
Can you go from here? :)

What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two sides of equal length. It also has two equal angles opposite the equal sides.

How do you find the missing side of an isosceles triangle?

To find the missing side of an isosceles triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if you know the length of the two equal sides. You can also use the properties of isosceles triangles to determine the missing side length.

What are the properties of an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles opposite the equal sides. The base angles, which are the angles formed by the equal sides and the base, are also equal. The sum of the three interior angles is always 180 degrees.

What is the formula for finding the area of an isosceles triangle?

The formula for finding the area of an isosceles triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the length of the base, and h is the height of the triangle. If the height is not given, you can use trigonometry to find it.

Can an isosceles triangle also be a right triangle?

Yes, an isosceles triangle can also be a right triangle if one of the angles opposite the equal sides is a right angle (90 degrees). In this case, the two equal sides are also the two legs of the right triangle.