Math Required to use OpenFOAM?

• Thread starter deltapapazulu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    openfoam
In summary, using SimFlow+OpenFOAM is easier than using OpenFOAM by itself, but it's still frustrating.
deltapapazulu
context:
I work for a guy who is interested in CFD. But he is a licensed engineer in the telecom industry (w/ an MS in Telecom) and has forgotten most of the Calculus he took in college.

My current working math knowledge is through Calc 3 (Multidimensional.), and about half of standard course in Differential Equations. Some Linear Algebra but haven't learned Eigenvalues yet.

My question is is that enough math to become reasonably proficient in the CFD software called OpenFOAM? Or do I have to go on to learn PDE, Numerical Analysis and such. I mean I am prepared to learn those things if necessary, just wondering if it is a must to use OpenFOAM for Computational Fluid Dynamics.

And I do have about a semester and a half familiarity with C++ and some other programming languages.

Technology news on Phys.org
deltapapazulu said:
My current working math knowledge is through Calc 3 (Multidimensional.), and about half of standard course in Differential Equations. Some Linear Algebra but haven't learned Eigenvalues yet.
My question is is that enough math to become reasonably proficient in the CFD software called OpenFOAM?
IMO, no it isn't. Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I don't know this software at all. My suspicion is that it uses finite element analysis (FEM) to solve partial differential equations in fluid dynamics.
deltapapazulu said:
Or do I have to go on to learn PDE, Numerical Analysis and such.
That would be my advice. It wouldn't hurt, though, to try out the sofware on some tutorials -- there are a number of them on the web. It's possible that a lot of the gory details of PDEs and analysis in meshes are hidden by the software.

Likes anorlunda
Most of the gory details of meshes and such are hidden by the software, particularly OpenFOAM commercial GUI front-ends like SimFlow (free to download, install, and use for meshes less than 100,000 nodes) and SimScale (cloud-based, free for the first 12 cpu hours per year). You do have to figure out the mesh configuration and parameters for refinement around details of your geometry, but for the most part you just set it up and press "mesh" and the mesh gets generated. The GUI for setting up boundary conditions, turbulence, etc. is also fairly straightforward after getting over a learning curve.

I've spent a couple weeks with SimFlow+OpenFOAM now, and it's been frustrating, but much easier than if I used OpenFOAM by itself.

1. What specific mathematical concepts are needed to use OpenFOAM?

In order to use OpenFOAM effectively, a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary. In particular, knowledge of vector and tensor calculus is crucial for working with the equations used in OpenFOAM.

2. Do I need to be an expert in mathematics to use OpenFOAM?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to use OpenFOAM, it is not necessary to be an expert. As long as you have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations used in fluid dynamics, you can learn to use OpenFOAM effectively.

3. What is the role of numerical methods in using OpenFOAM?

Numerical methods play a crucial role in using OpenFOAM. These methods are used to discretize the continuous equations of fluid dynamics into discrete equations that can be solved using computers. Understanding these methods is important for effectively using OpenFOAM.

4. How can I improve my mathematical skills for using OpenFOAM?

One of the best ways to improve your mathematical skills for using OpenFOAM is to practice solving problems related to fluid dynamics and computational fluid dynamics. Additionally, taking courses or reading books on vector and tensor calculus, differential equations, and numerical methods can also be helpful.

5. Can I use OpenFOAM without a strong mathematical background?

While it is possible to use OpenFOAM without a strong mathematical background, it may be more challenging. It is recommended to have at least a basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations in order to use OpenFOAM effectively and accurately interpret the results.