Mathcad dot or dashed notation

In summary, Mathcad dot or dashed notation is a system used to represent mathematical equations and expressions. It uses a dot (·) for multiplication and a dash (-) for subtraction. To use it, simply type these symbols in your equations. You can also change the notation in Mathcad's options menu. Some advantages of this notation include easier differentiation between operations and following standard mathematical convention. It can also be used in other software, but interpretation may vary.
volican
Hi, I have a long differential equation which I am typing into mathcad. I want to use either dot or dashed notation instead of d/dt to shortern it and make it more readable. Do you know how I can do this so that it actually recognises it as a derivative? I

Technology news on Phys.org

1. What is Mathcad dot or dashed notation?

Mathcad dot or dashed notation is a system used in Mathcad software to represent mathematical equations and expressions. In this notation, a dot (·) is used to represent multiplication, while a dash (-) is used to represent subtraction.

2. How do I use dot or dashed notation in Mathcad?

To use dot or dashed notation in Mathcad, simply type a dot (·) for multiplication and a dash (-) for subtraction in your equations and expressions. Mathcad will automatically interpret these symbols as the appropriate mathematical operations.

3. Can I change the dot or dashed notation in Mathcad?

Yes, you can change the dot or dashed notation in Mathcad by going to "Tools" and then selecting "Options". In the "Options" menu, go to the "Display" tab and select your preferred notation under the "Math Display Style" section.

4. Are there any advantages to using dot or dashed notation in Mathcad?

One advantage of using dot or dashed notation in Mathcad is that it allows for easier differentiation between multiplication and subtraction, which can be important in complex mathematical expressions. It also follows the standard mathematical convention, making it easier to understand for those familiar with traditional mathematical notation.

5. Can I use dot or dashed notation in other software besides Mathcad?

Yes, dot or dashed notation can be used in other software that supports mathematical notation. However, it is important to note that the symbols may not be interpreted as intended, so it is best to check the software's documentation or support resources for guidance on using dot or dashed notation.