Mathematica remote kernel hangs after password

In summary: Summary: In summary, the individual is attempting to set up remote kernels via ssh to run numerics on their cluster from their laptop. They have encountered issues with the evaluation hanging and believe it may be a problem with Windows or the network. They have also tried troubleshooting with different network settings and ssh keys. If all else fails, they may need to contact Mathematica support for further assistance.
FunkyDwarf
Hey all,

I'm trying to setup remote kernels via ssh to run numerics on my cluster via my laptop.

So far I've managed to get the laptop MM front end to connect via ssh to the cluster, but then it just hangs on the evaluation (after password entry). In the kernel config options I told it to launch 'math' rather than MathKernel, which is how the tutorial says to do it (math being the command line version so that at least makes sense).

It seems that math is launched on my cluster but then closes after a while. If i use putty to ssh in and use math it works fine so I'm a bit confused.

Could it be Mathematica's ssh keys causing the problem? I accepted the key thing when it came up so...yeah.

Any help would be...helpful =D
Cheers,
-Z

Update: after testing it on my friends Mac it seems to work from there (although his computer is on the same network as the cluster whereas my laptop was using wireless). Additionally, I tried from my home desktop which also failed similarly to my laptop. This makes me suspect it is either a windows problem or a network problem.

I think it is the latter as I tried to do a self ssh connect on the cluster and it worked (and if i turned off my ssh server the kernel died so it wasn't cheating locally)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Z,

It sounds like you're on the right track with your troubleshooting. The fact that it works on your friend's Mac and not on your laptop or home desktop does suggest that it could be a Windows or network issue. Have you tried changing the network settings on your laptop or desktop to see if that makes a difference? Sometimes different network configurations can cause problems with remote connections.

Another thing to consider is whether there could be any firewall or security settings on your laptop or desktop that could be blocking the connection. It's also possible that there could be an issue with the ssh keys, as you mentioned. Have you tried generating new keys and using those to see if it makes a difference?

If none of these suggestions work, it may be helpful to reach out to Mathematica support for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific troubleshooting steps for your particular setup.

I hope this helps and good luck with your remote kernels! Let us know if you have any further questions or updates.

1. Why does my Mathematica remote kernel hang after entering the password?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the password was entered incorrectly, causing a connection error. Another possibility is that there is a network connectivity issue between the client and the remote kernel. It is also possible that the remote kernel is experiencing a technical issue or is overloaded with other tasks.

2. How can I troubleshoot a remote kernel hang?

To troubleshoot a remote kernel hang, you can try restarting both the client and the remote kernel. If the issue persists, check your network connection and make sure the remote kernel is not overloaded. You can also try resetting the password for the remote kernel and ensuring it is entered correctly. If none of these steps work, it may be necessary to contact technical support for further assistance.

3. Can I prevent my remote kernel from hanging after entering the password?

It is possible to prevent a remote kernel from hanging after entering the password by ensuring a stable network connection and making sure the remote kernel is not overloaded. You can also try using a firewall to block any unwanted connections to the remote kernel, as this can sometimes cause hangs. Additionally, regularly updating Mathematica and the remote kernel can help prevent technical issues.

4. Is there a way to speed up the remote kernel connection process?

In some cases, you may be able to speed up the remote kernel connection process by increasing the memory allocation for the remote kernel. You can also try using a faster network connection or using a remote kernel that is located closer to your physical location. Additionally, regularly updating Mathematica and the remote kernel can help improve connection speeds.

5. How can I improve the overall performance of my remote kernel?

To improve the overall performance of your remote kernel, you can try optimizing your Mathematica code and minimizing unnecessary calculations. You can also increase the memory allocation for the remote kernel and use a faster network connection. Additionally, regularly updating Mathematica and the remote kernel can help improve performance. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to upgrade to a higher performance remote kernel or contact technical support for further assistance.