Mathematical Biology- Neumann BCs, Turing Analysis

In summary, the Neumann BC boundary applies to a reaction-diffusion system in n-dimensional space, where u is a scalar function of n variables. The boundary condition states that the derivative in the normal direction of each surface is zero, with a different normal vector for each surface.
binbagsss
This is probably a stupid question but I have Neumann BC boundary : ## \nabla u . \vec{n} =0## (same for ##v##)conditions for the following reaction-diffusion system on a [0,L_1]x[0,L_2]x...x...[0,L_n] n times in n dimensional space so ##u=u(x_1,...,x_n,t)## is a scalar I believe?

so that ## \nabla u . \vec{n} ## is a vector times a vector is a scalar,my notes then say:

Untitled.png
and so, I'm confused how to argue, from, a summation of ##u_i## derivatives we conclude that each ##u_i## derivative must individually be zero? unless we are specifying ##n## different normal vectors, one for each surface (divided by two for the what would be a negative of this normal vector) ? so like ##(1,0...0)## ,...,(0,0,...1) ##

ahh this must be the case actually and i have misinterpreted the boundary condition?? thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You only have one boundary condition per surface. The boundary conditions state that the derivative in the normal direction of the boundary is zero. This takes different forms on each boundary

1. What is the main focus of mathematical biology?

The main focus of mathematical biology is to use mathematical and computational tools to understand and model biological processes and systems. This includes studying how cells, organisms, and populations behave and interact with each other, as well as analyzing biological data.

2. What are Neumann boundary conditions in mathematical biology?

Neumann boundary conditions are a type of boundary condition used in mathematical models to describe the behavior of a system at the edge or boundary. In the context of mathematical biology, Neumann boundary conditions are often used to describe the diffusion of substances or the flow of fluids across a cell membrane or tissue boundary.

3. How are Turing patterns analyzed in mathematical biology?

Turing patterns are analyzed using a mathematical technique called Turing analysis, which was developed by mathematician Alan Turing. This involves studying the stability and behavior of reaction-diffusion models, which are commonly used to model the formation of patterns in biological systems.

4. What is the significance of Neumann boundary conditions in mathematical biology?

Neumann boundary conditions are significant because they allow for the modeling of important biological processes such as diffusion and transport. They also play a crucial role in the study of pattern formation, which is a fundamental aspect of many biological systems.

5. Can mathematical biology be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, mathematical biology has numerous applications in the real world, such as in medicine, ecology, and biotechnology. For example, mathematical models can be used to understand the spread of diseases and develop strategies for controlling them, or to optimize the production of biofuels from microorganisms.