Mathematical difference between permutation&combination

In summary: The r! in the denominator is how many ways r distinct items can be arranged. Because you are allowing repeats and there are identical items in the r items, getting rid of the r! is the wrong thing to do.However I stated repetitions are allowed,Oops. My apologies, I missed that.
Jonathan1218
I know to calculate a combination with n options and r selections while repetition is allowed you are supposed to do (n+r-1)! / r!(n-r)! and the purpose of r! as a denominator is to act as a ratio to eliminate same outcomes but of different orders and is what makes us calculate the combination instead of a permutation.
However why can I not simply remove the r! to use it to calculate permutation? so: ( n+r-1 )! / ( n-r )!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan1218 said:
I know to calculate a combination with n options and r selections while repetition is allowed you are supposed to do (n+r-1)! / r!(n-r)!
Your formula here is incorrect. It should be ##\frac{n!}{r! (n-r)!}##

See https://betterexplained.com/articles/easy-permutations-and-combinations/

Jonathan1218 said:
the purpose of r! as a denominator is to act as a ratio to eliminate same outcomes but of different orders and is what makes us calculate the combination instead of a permutation.
Yes.

Jonathan1218 said:
However why can I not simply remove the r! to use it to calculate permutation?
You can, but

Jonathan1218 said:
so: ( n+r-1 )! / ( n-r )!
You have to start with the right formula for combinations, not this.

Likes pbuk
Your formula does not take into accounts that there are possible repetitions, in your link only one person can get first, second and so on. With every medal being awarded the number of candidates decreases. However I stated repetitions are allowed, so an example would be getting 3 scoops of 5 flavours of ice cream. I pick 3 between chocolate, vanilla, banana, strawberry and bubblegum. So I can pick triple chocolate, and the formula has to be slightly modified to account for the extra possibilities of repetitions and having n! will not work because the amount of options does not decrease with each selection. Thank you nevertheless

The r! in the denominator is how many ways r distinct items can be arranged. Because you are allowing repeats and there are identical items in the r items, getting rid of the r! is the wrong thing to do.

Likes Jonathan1218 and Dale
Jonathan1218 said:
However why can I not simply remove the r! to use it to calculate permutation? so: ( n+r-1 )! / ( n-r )!

Perhaps your question is:
Since the number of combinations of n things taken r at a time with replacement is ##\frac{ (n+r-1)!} {r! (n-1)!}## then why isn't the number of permutations of n things taken r at a time with replacement equal to ##r! \frac{ (n+r-1)!} {r! (n-1)!} ## ?

For example the ways of picking two things from the set {1,2,3} with replacment allowed are:
{1,1}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {2,2}, {2,3}, {3,3} but not all of those choices can be associated with 2! = 2 permutations. For example {1,1} isn't associated with 2 arrangements. If we could distinguish the two 1's as {1A,1B} then we'd distinguish {1A,1B} and {1B,1A}.

Likes Jonathan1218 and FactChecker
Thank you i get it now :)

1. What is the main difference between permutation and combination?

The main difference between permutation and combination is the order in which the elements are arranged. In permutation, the order matters, while in combination, the order does not matter.

2. How do you calculate permutations?

To calculate the number of permutations, you use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements you are selecting.

3. How do you calculate combinations?

To calculate the number of combinations, you use the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!) where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements you are selecting.

4. Can you give an example of a permutation problem?

Sure, an example of a permutation problem would be: If there are 5 people in a race, how many different ways can they finish in first, second, and third place?

In this problem, the order matters, so we would use the formula nPr = 5! / (5-3)! = 5! / 2! = 5 x 4 x 3 = 60 different ways.

5. Can you give an example of a combination problem?

Yes, an example of a combination problem would be: If there are 10 students in a class and the teacher wants to choose a group of 4 students to work on a project together, how many different combinations of students can be chosen?

In this problem, the order does not matter, so we would use the formula nCr = 10! / (4!(10-4)!) = 10! / (4! x 6!) = 210 different combinations.