Mathematical induction problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving mathematical induction and the process of proving equalities. The problem is to prove that 1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3n - 2)(3n + 1) = n(n + 1)². The conversation includes an attempt at solving the problem, testing for n=1, and rewriting the equation. It also discusses the mistake in the solution and the correct equation, which is 1*4 + 2*7 + 3*10 + 4*13 + ... (n)(3n+1) = n(n+1)^2. The conversation also touches on the idea of testing for higher values
2sin54
Hi. I am learning mathematical induction on my own and I came across this problem:

Homework Statement

Prove:
1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3n - 2)(3n + 1) = n(n + 1)²2. The attempt at a solution

Quick test for n=1:

(3 -2)(3 + 1) = 1(1 + 1)²
4 = 4

Alright, so I rewrite this with, on the left side, after the '...' having two members:

1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3n - 5)(3n - 2) + (3n - 2)(3n + 1) = n(n+1)²

Assume n = k and it stands for k:

1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3k - 5)(3k - 2) + (3k - 2)(3k + 1) = k(k+1)²

Lets prove that it stands for n = k+1:

[1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3k - 2)(3k + 1)] + (3k+1)(3k+4) = (k+1)(k+2)²

Now replace everything in brackets with k(k+1)² from the step above:

k(k+1)² + (3k+1)(3k+4) = (k+1)(k+2)²

k³ + 2k² + k + 9k² + 12k + 3k + 4 = (k+1)(k² + 4k + 4)

k³ + 11k² + 16k + 4 = k³ + 4k² + 4k + k² + 4k + 4 | -k³

11k² + 16k + 4 = 5k² + 8k + 4

6k² + 8k = 0Where's the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it work for n = 2? No!

Added in Edit:

Try: 1*4 + 2*7 + 3*10 + 4*13 + ... (n)(3n+1) = n(n+1)2 .

Last edited:
It's not a true statement. That just goes to show you the proof by induction can be counted on :)

SammyS said:
Does it work for n = 2? No!

Added in Edit:

Try: 1*4 + 2*7 + 3*10 + 4*13 + ... (n)(3n+1) = n(n+1)2 .
Now it is true. Oh, and should I keep testing values like up to n=3 or something? Because everywhere I look they just say that you have to test for n=1.
ArcanaNoir said:
It's not a true statement. That just goes to show you the proof by induction can be counted on :)

So is my book lying? Because it asks to "Prove that these equalities are right/true"
Or is it the lack of my English skills and I didn't completely understand your post?

By "not a true statement" I meant the left side of the equation did not equal the right side. You fixed it, now it does.

You don't have to keep testing for higher values than 1, unless the equality is only true for something starting higher up, like, it's true for n>6 or something, then you test it for the first true value and then do k+1.

I still am missing something here... How could it be not a true statement if they write in the book that those equalities are true? I solved a supposed to be right equality and it showed up that it wasn't right. The exercise should then ask to Prove whether equalities are right or not.

I just meant 1*4 + 4*7 + 7*10 + ... + (3n - 2)(3n + 1) = n(n + 1)² wasn't true for all n.
1*4 + 2*7 + 3*10 + 4*13 + ... (n)(3n+1) = n(n+1)^2 is true.

Related to Mathematical induction problem.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proving a statement or formula to be true for all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case and showing that if the statement is true for n, then it is also true for n+1.

2. How is mathematical induction used in problem solving?

Mathematical induction is used to prove a general statement to be true for all natural numbers. It is often used in problem solving to prove the validity of a formula or to show that a specific pattern or relationship holds true for all cases.

3. What are the steps of a mathematical induction proof?

The steps of a mathematical induction proof are: 1) prove the statement is true for the base case (usually n=1), 2) assume the statement is true for n=k, 3) use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for n=k+1, and 4) conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include: 1) assuming the statement is true for n=k+1 without first proving it for n=k, 2) using circular reasoning by assuming the statement is true in the proof, and 3) not considering all cases, including the base case, in the proof.

5. Are there any real-life applications of mathematical induction?

Yes, mathematical induction is used in various fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. It is often used to prove the convergence or divergence of series, to prove the correctness of algorithms, and to show the validity of mathematical models.