What is the remainder when the following sum is divided by 4?

In summary, Case 1 has an even number, and Case 2 has an odd number. The sum of these two cases is 100, and the remainder when divided by 4 is 0.
Math100
Homework Statement
What is the remainder when the following sum is divided by ## 4 ##?
## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5} ##
Relevant Equations
None.
Let ## n ## be an integer.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose ## n ## is even.
Then ## n=2k ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Thus ## n^{5}=(2k)^{5}=32k^{5}\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Case #2: Suppose ## n ## is odd.
Then ## n=4k+1 ## or ## n=4k+3 ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Thus ## (4k+1)^{5}+(4k+3)^{5}\equiv 1^{5}+(-1)^{5} \pmod 4\equiv 1+(-1) \pmod 4\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Note that ## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5}=[(1^{5}+3^{5})+(5^{5}+7^{5})+\dotsb +(97^{5}+99^{5})]+(2^{5}+4^{5}+\dotsb +98^{5}+100^{5})\equiv (0+0) \pmod 4\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Therefore, the remainder of ## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5} ## when divided by ## 4 ## is ## 0 ##.

Likes Delta2 and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the remainder when the following sum is divided by ## 4 ##?
## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5} ##
Relevant Equations:: None.

Let ## n ## be an integer.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose ## n ## is even.
Then ## n=2k ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Thus ## n^{5}=(2k)^{5}=32k^{5}\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Case #2: Suppose ## n ## is odd.
Then ## n=4k+1 ## or ## n=4k+3 ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Thus ## (4k+1)^{5}+(4k+3)^{5}\equiv 1^{5}+(-1)^{5} \pmod 4\equiv 1+(-1) \pmod 4\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Note that ## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5}=[(1^{5}+3^{5})+(5^{5}+7^{5})+\dotsb +(97^{5}+99^{5})]+(2^{5}+4^{5}+\dotsb +98^{5}+100^{5})\equiv (0+0) \pmod 4\equiv 0 \pmod 4 ##.
Therefore, the remainder of ## 1^{5}+2^{5}+3^{5}+\dotsb +99^{5}+100^{5} ## when divided by ## 4 ## is ## 0 ##.
I would replace the last ##=## sign by ##\equiv## to stay in the same domain ##\mathbb{Z}_4## but this is nitpicking. Your proof is fine as it is.

I have looked up the sum and it is divisible by 100. There could be more than one solution, but I don't see it immediately.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
I have looked up the sum and it is divisible by 100.
It's divisible by 2,500 but I'm not sure that helps.
fresh_42 said:
There could be more than one solution, but I don't see it immediately.
There can only be one solution: the unique remainder. Do you mean more than one method for calculating the solution? You could derive the closed form for ## \Sigma_1^n k^5 ## but that would not be quite as easy.

pbuk said:
There can only be one solution: the unique remainder. Do you mean more than one method for calculating the solution?
Sure.
pbuk said:
You could derive the closed form for ## \Sigma_1^n k^5 ## but that would not be quite as easy.
I thought there must be a trick to see that 100 divides the sum without calculating too many steps.

Very good proof using modulo arithmetic and the fact that an integer can be even or odd. And of course at the end the pairing of terms which reminds of the Gauss anecdote.

Likes fresh_42
No conclusion about n is drawn in Case 2. Since you are not doing a proof by cases, you really shouldn't write "Case 1" and "Case 2".

Prof B said:
No conclusion about n is drawn in Case 2. Since you are not doing a proof by cases, you really shouldn't write "Case 1" and "Case 2".
I think it's ok. Maybe, he should have began with: "Let ##n\in \{1,2,\ldots,100\}.##" instead of ##n## being an arbitrary integer.

Likes Math100 and Delta2

What is the remainder when the following sum is divided by 4?

The remainder when a sum is divided by 4 is the number that is left over after dividing the sum by 4. For example, if the sum is 10 and it is divided by 4, the remainder would be 2.

Why is it important to know the remainder when dividing by 4?

Knowing the remainder when dividing by 4 can be useful in many mathematical calculations and applications. It can also help in simplifying fractions and solving equations.

How do you calculate the remainder when dividing by 4?

To calculate the remainder when dividing by 4, you can use the modulo operator (%). This operator returns the remainder of a division operation. For example, 10 % 4 would return a remainder of 2.

What are some real-life examples of when knowing the remainder when dividing by 4 is useful?

One example is when dividing a group of objects into equal groups of 4. The remainder would tell you how many objects are left over. Another example is when calculating the number of days in a week, as there are 7 days but when divided by 4, there is a remainder of 3.

Are there any other ways to find the remainder when dividing by 4?

There are several other methods for finding the remainder when dividing by 4, such as using long division or using the concept of congruence in modular arithmetic. However, using the modulo operator is the most common and efficient method.