Induction Proof for A^n = 1 2^nProve your formula by mathematical induction.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the formula A^n = 1 2^n 0 1 using mathematical induction. The individuals in the conversation are struggling with understanding how to apply induction to this problem and are seeking guidance and resources. They also discuss the general form of the matrix A^n and how only one number changes with each successive power.
Robb
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

A^n = 1 2^n
0 1
Prove your formula by mathematical induction.

I began by taking A to successive powers but not sure of what my formula should be.

A^0 = 1 0 , A^1 = 1 2 , A^2 = 1 4 , A^3 = 1 6 , A^4 = 1 8 , A^5 = 1 8
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1

Obviously the a(12) element increases by two with each successive power but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. The induction proof isn't very intuitive to me either. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two parts to an induction proof.

Prove it’s true for one case.

Assume it’s true for case k and then prove it’s true for case k+1.

I don’t understand what you wrote. Does A have a value?

I don’t understand the 0 1 or 0 1 0 1... values.

jedishrfu said:
I don’t understand what you wrote. Does A have a value?

Sorry, looks like the matrices didn't go through the way I typed them out. With each successive power the a12component increases by two.

1 2 = A
0 1

Robb said:
Sorry, looks like the matrices didn't go through the way I typed them out. With each successive power the a12component increases by two.

1 2 = A
0 1
1 2 = A2
0 1

Robb said:
1 2 = A2
0 1
I apologize, I'm a bit out of sorts
1 2 = A^n
0 1

Robb said:

1 2 = A
0 1

Okay, I think I can see what you have to prove. What do you know about induction?

@Robb Try using the following:

##A = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 \\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##

If you reply to my post, you'll get the latex.

We went over it very briefly the other day which was my first intro to it. Basically prove an initial case then prove the k + 1 case.

Robb said:
We went over it very briefly the other day which was my first intro to it. Basically prove an initial case then prove the k + 1 case.

Not quite. Prove the ##k+1## case, assuming the ##k## case.

Can you have a try at that?

We were told to develop an equation based on A^n, where n = 1, 2, 3,..., n. Then prove the equation. I guess this is my first stumbling block. I'm not sure of the equation. The example used was n(n+1)/2.

Robb said:
We were told to develop an equation based on A^n, where n = 1, 2, 3,..., n. Then prove the equation. I guess this is my first stumbling block. I'm not sure of the equation. The example used was n(n+1)/2.

Induction is logic. It goes like this. Suppose you check that something is true for ##k = 1## and then you prove that if it is true for ##k##, it is true for ##k +1##. Then, you can reason as follows

It's true for ##k = 1##, hence it's true for ##k = 1 + 1 = 2##; and

since it's true for ##k = 2## it's true for ##k = 2 + 1 = 3##; and,

since it's true for ##k = 3##, it's true for ##k = 3 + 1 = 4##; and,

hence it must be true for all ##k##.

That's the principle of induction.

Does that make sense?

Likes jedishrfu
Yes. I guess where I'm not connecting the points is how to apply it to this particular problem. Is it as simple as above,

so, A^k

K =1

so, k+1 = 1+1 = 2
k = 2+1 = 3, and so on?

Robb said:
Yes. I guess where I'm not connecting the points is how to apply it to this particular problem. Is it as simple as above,

so, A^k

K =1

so, k+1 = 1+1 = 2
k = 2+1 = 3, and so on?

Can you check whether it's true for ##k = 1##?

When k=1 I get the original matrix A so, I assume that it is true.

Robb said:
When k=1 I get the original matrix A so, I assume that it is true.

Let's go with that. What happens if you assume it is true for ##k##? Can you write down what that assumption means? And, can you show that - with that assumption - the statement is true for ##k + 1##?

When k=1, A^k = A
When k=k+1=1+1, A^k = A^2
when k=2+1, A^k = A^3
and so on

Robb said:
When k=1, A^k = A
When k=k+1=1+1, A^k = A^2
when k=2+1, A^k = A^3
and so on

Okay, so you haven't understood it at all! Probably best to try the above material. See if you can get a grip in induction somehow.

PeroK said:
Okay, so you haven't understood it at all! Probably best to try the above material. See if you can get a grip in induction somehow.

Crap! Ok, I'll check it out. I appreciate the help!

Robb said:
this is my first stumbling block. I'm not sure of the equation.
You can see from the cases you tried that only one number changes. So you know the general form is
##A^n= \begin{bmatrix}
1 & f_n\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##
Can you get a recurrence relation for fn?

Prove true for k=1. Then rewrite Ak+1 in terms of Ak and use the assumption that it is true for k to deal with Ak. That should let you prove it for all 1 (prove), 2, ..., k (assume), k+1 (prove), ...

FactChecker said:
Prove true for k=1. Then rewrite Ak+1 in terms of Ak and use the assumption that it is true for k to deal with Ak. That should let you prove it for all 1 (prove), 2, ..., k (assume), k+1 (prove), ...
Yes, that's induction, but it seems the immediate difficulty is in constructing the formula to be proved.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's induction, but it seems the immediate difficulty is in constructing the formula to be proved.
This is the step that I don't see him making any attempt at: rewrite Ak+1 in terms of Ak.
So I thought it was worth asking for it directly. Maybe I missed it, but I have trouble understanding his posts.

haruspex said:
You can see from the cases you tried that only one number changes. So you know the general form is
##A^n= \begin{bmatrix}
1 & f_n\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##
Can you get a recurrence relation for fn?

fn = 2n

Robb said:
fn = 2n
Later edit: No.
Let's get back to the original problem, with ##A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
What is A2?
What is A3?
Continue until you can see a pattern develop.

I'm assuming you know how to multiply two 2 x 2 matrices.

Last edited:
Robb said:
fn = 2n
No. Please show your working.

Edit: Sorry, you are right.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
No.
Let's get back to the original problem, with ##A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
What is A2?
What is A3?
Continue until you can see a pattern develop.

I'm assuming you know how to multiply two 2 x 2 matrices.

##A2 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 4 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##
##A3 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 6 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##

so,
n = 1, fn = 2
n = 2, fn = 4
n = 3, fn = 6
n =4, fn = 8
and so on. As n increases in value by increments of 1, fn increases by 2n. All other values of the matrices remain unchanged.

Robb said:
As n increases in value by increments of 1, fn increases by 2n
You mean it increases by 2. So yes, it does equal 2n, as you posted. My mistake.

So now you have your inductive hypothesis. Can you write the inductive proof?

haruspex said:
Edit: Sorry, you are right.
My mistake, as well. My apologies for any confusion.

@Robb, as already mentioned, for an induction proof you need to
  1. Establish a base case (e.g., with n = 1).
  2. Assume that the proposition is true if n = k.
  3. Show that if the proposition is true for n = k, it must also be true for n = k + 1.
The base case is trivial in this problem.
For step 2, it's reasonable to assume that for n = k, ##A^k = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2k \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##
For step 3, show, using the assumption in step 2, that ##A^{k + 1} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2(k + 1) \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##
Your work should start with ##A^{k + 1} = \dots##.
That's it!

Mark44 said:
@Robb, as already mentioned, for an induction proof you need to
  1. Establish a base case (e.g., with n = 1).
  2. Assume that the proposition is true if n = k.
  3. Show that if the proposition is true for n = k, it must also be true for n = k + 1.
The base case is trivial in this problem.
For step 2, it's reasonable to assume that for n = k, ##A^k = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2k \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##
For step 3, show, using the assumption in step 2, that ##A^{k + 1} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2(k + 1) \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}##
Your work should start with ##A^{k + 1} = \dots##.
That's it!

Now that makes sense! As always, the help is much appreciated!

1. What is mathematical induction proof?

Mathematical induction proof is a method used to prove statements about integers or natural numbers. It involves proving that a statement is true for a specific number, and then proving that if it is true for one number, it is also true for the next number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all numbers.

2. How does mathematical induction proof work?

Mathematical induction proof involves two steps: the base case and the inductive step. In the base case, the statement is proven to be true for the first number. In the inductive step, it is assumed that the statement is true for a specific number, and then it is proven to be true for the next number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all numbers.

3. What is the purpose of mathematical induction proof?

The purpose of mathematical induction proof is to prove that a statement is true for all numbers, without having to individually prove it for each number. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and is often used to prove theorems and solve problems.

4. What are the requirements for using mathematical induction proof?

To use mathematical induction proof, the statement must be true for the first number (base case), and it must be possible to prove that if it is true for one number, it is also true for the next number (inductive step). Additionally, the numbers must be well-ordered, meaning that there is a first number and every number after it has a successor.

5. What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction proof?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction proof include assuming the statement is true without proving it for the base case, using the wrong variable in the inductive step, and assuming that the statement is true for all numbers without properly proving it for each step. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction proof to avoid these mistakes.