Mathematicians and cryptography

In summary, the development of cryptography and the RSA algorithm are based on the original work of mathematicians who studied prime numbers. Although prime numbers were known since ancient times, the specific mathematicians mentioned in the article are credited with creating the RSA algorithm. The concept of finding a coprime number between 1 and a given number has been known for centuries. The history of ciphers can be further explored through resources such as Wikipedia.
phospho
Hello,

This may seem like a random question but I'm doing a essay on cryptography and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me who was the mathematician(s) that done the original work in prime numbers that lead to the development of cryptography and the RSA and whatnot.

Sorry if this is vague, but I have found no information on the mathematicians.

Thank you!

Edit: Step 4 of the RSA algorithm here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(algorithm)

who done the work to make it possible to find a number e such that 1 < e < phi(n) where e and phi(n) are coprime.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
Hello,

This may seem like a random question but I'm doing a essay on cryptography and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me who was the mathematician(s) that done the original work in prime numbers that lead to the development of cryptography and the RSA and whatnot.
prime numbers were known far back in time but only those mentioned in the article seemed to have thought up the RSA algorithm
same said:
TRY searching for info on US patent 4405829
same said:
Edit: Step 4 of the RSA algorithm here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(algorithm)

who done the work to make it possible to find a number e such that 1 < e < phi(n) where e and phi(n) are coprime.
How to find a number n between 1 and X>2 such that n is coprime to X was known before the Roman calendar so I don't understand your question.

phospho said:
Hello,

Thank you!

Wikipedia has a good history of ciphers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cryptography

1. What is cryptography and why is it important for mathematicians?

Cryptography is the practice of creating and analyzing methods for secure communication. It is important for mathematicians because it involves the use of mathematical concepts and techniques to develop codes and ciphers that can protect sensitive information from being intercepted and deciphered by unauthorized parties.

2. How do mathematicians contribute to the field of cryptography?

Mathematicians play a crucial role in cryptography by creating and analyzing mathematical algorithms and systems for encryption and decryption. They also use their expertise in number theory, algebra, and probability to develop new and more secure methods of cryptography.

3. What are some famous mathematicians who have made significant contributions to cryptography?

Some famous mathematicians who have contributed to cryptography include Alan Turing, who developed the Enigma machine during World War II, and Claude Shannon, who laid the foundations for modern cryptography with his work on the theory of information.

4. How has the role of mathematicians in cryptography evolved over time?

In the past, mathematicians primarily worked on developing codes and ciphers for military and diplomatic purposes. However, with the rise of technology and the internet, their role has expanded to include creating and analyzing encryption algorithms for secure online communication and transactions.

5. What are some current challenges and developments in the field of mathematicians and cryptography?

Some current challenges in cryptography include the rise of quantum computing, which could potentially break traditional encryption methods, and the need to balance security with usability in modern technology. Some developments include the use of multi-party computation and homomorphic encryption to improve security and privacy in data sharing and cloud computing.