Mathematics or Computer Science

In summary, the person is considering pursuing a double major in mathematics and computer science. They are dating a girl who is interested in computer science and they are considering pursuing a degree in computational physics. They are unsure if pursuing a degree in mathematics will be more beneficial in the long run. They would like to hear other people's opinions.
brunopinto90
Hello. I am writing this post, hoping, you can help me make a decision. This September i will aplly to University. I have two fields of interesting: Pure Mathematics and Computer Science. Which to choose?

I was really bad at math a year ago, not knowing how to solve a linear equation. Now i have a passion for it. In six months, i developed my math maturity so quick: From Pre-Algebra to Differential Calculus and Basic Linear Algebra. I now can read math books
arrow-10x10.png
with the crazy notations and definions.

I learned Math with passion and curiosity, i didn´t only memorize definitions, i tried to understood it all, the more abstract, the better. Troughout this last month, i became interested in proofs, i don´t want formulas given to me anymore without knowing where they come from and of course tried to proof at my own. I don´t like definions written mostly in english, i enjoy symbols more. I also became interested in word problems, modelling and simulations.

Now, i have another passion. It is programming, algorithms, hardware. That doesn´t mean i like or dislike to design websites or iphone apps. I like modelling, simulations (using pysichs). I want to make investigation specially in Robotics, Game Engines, Algorithms or work as a software
arrow-10x10.png
engineer.

Both degress are a Bachelor (3 years) with possibility of a master´s degree (2 years). The mathematics university i am applying is considered to be the best in Portugal (UNIVERSIDADE NOVA - if you want to look at it), has a strong investigation component and close to 0% Unemployment.

The computer science university i am applying is the favourite of the companies. Almost every student is asked to work in the first two years! Its also 0% Unemployment

Double major is out of the question. I will have to work on a part-time to pay my tuition. I supoose i can study math as a hobby (vacations, weekends, nights, etc.)

Another thing... I am dating a girl for a year and i really like her and the computer science degree would help me organize my life better. Get a job, living with her in a house, etc.

So i was thinking... Get a computer science degree and years later, a math degree?

Wich field to pursuit? Love or Math? LOL. I would like to hear some opinions. I can give you also the curriculum of both degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical computer science (if you would go on to get a doctorate) is essentially a branch of math. How that affects your employability, I don't know.

I plan on getting a Master´s and a PhD which includes a lot of math and pysichs and even computational biology. The main issue is not the employment itself, they both have 0% unemplyment, but in the computer science, most students get full or part-time job interviews just before the end of the 2nd semester and that's great! I wil have to work to pay tuition anyway, so working in computer science while studying it... Thats a huge advantage. Still i am more passionate about mathematics. Should i pursue it by self-studying in years to come?

Why not consider a degree in computational physics? That is what I'm doing; instead of taking experimental courses (experimental lab), you take computational physics courses which teach you about algorithms, and also take several courses in the CS department.

1. What is the difference between Mathematics and Computer Science?

Mathematics is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes, while Computer Science is a discipline that involves the study of computers and computational systems. Mathematics is the foundation of Computer Science, as it provides the necessary tools and techniques for solving problems. However, Computer Science also involves the design and development of software and hardware systems, making it a more applied field compared to Mathematics.

2. Can you pursue a career in both Mathematics and Computer Science?

Yes, many careers in the field of Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning require knowledge and skills in both Mathematics and Computer Science. Both fields complement each other, and having a strong foundation in both can open up a wide range of job opportunities.

3. What skills are necessary to excel in Mathematics or Computer Science?

To excel in Mathematics, one needs to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and theories. In Computer Science, one needs to have a strong foundation in programming languages, critical thinking skills, and the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.

4. Is Mathematics or Computer Science more challenging?

This is subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and interests. Both fields require a strong foundation and continuous learning, but some might find Mathematics more challenging due to its abstract nature, while others might find Computer Science more challenging due to its constantly evolving nature.

5. What are the real-world applications of Mathematics and Computer Science?

There are numerous real-world applications of Mathematics and Computer Science, from designing and developing software and hardware systems to analyzing and interpreting data for decision-making. Both fields play a crucial role in various industries such as finance, healthcare, engineering, and technology, making them highly sought after in the job market.