Maths textbooks for self-study

In summary, the conversation was about a 1st-year physics student who wanted to self-study some extra math courses over the summer. They were considering geometry, statistics, and algebra as these subjects are useful in physics and do not require too many prerequisites. They asked for recommendations for textbooks or online resources, and were provided with some free books and a guide on how to self-study math. The student then specified that they were looking for material at a fairly introductory level and listed the main topics they wanted to cover in each subject. They were advised to focus on either linear algebra or abstract algebra for the algebra component, and given recommendations for books in both areas. For geometry, they were advised to study elementary differential geometry and given a recommendation
lizzie96'
I am a 1st-year physics student and over the summer am planning on self-studying some extra maths courses. I was considering geometry, statistics, and algebra as these seem to not require too many prerequisites and are useful in physics. Could anyone recommend some good textbooks/online resources for self study in these areas? I have taken intro courses in algebra and probability this year, and I have very little background in geometry. Thank you for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much- several of these look really useful. In addition to these pure-maths textbooks, could anyone recommend any books on geometry and algebra written specifically for physics students, i.e. written in a less formal/rigourous style and directed especially towards the areas with physical applications?

lizzie96' said:
I was considering geometry, statistics, and algebra

That is extremely vague. Geometry, statistics and algebra are huge fields. If you're somewhat more specific, then I can give recommendations.

Sorry- I would like to study some 2nd-year courses that I have the prerequisites for but not the time/credits to study next year, so I am looking for material at a fairly introductory level. There are no recommended books and the lecture notes are not made public, but these are some of the main topics included according to the course webpages:

Algebra:
Abstract vector spaces, linear transformations, multilinear algebra of determinants, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, fields, rings and modules, quotients, isomorphism theorems, Sylow theorems, Cayley-Hamilton theorem, inner product spaces, spectral theorem, Jordan normal form, Galois groups.

Geometry:
Curves in Euclidean space, Frenet-Serret frame, curvature and torsion, vector fields, differential forms, Poincare’s lemma, connection forms, structure equations, surfaces, isometries, geodesics on surfaces, integration of forms, Stoke’s theorem, Gauss-Bonnet theorem, Euler characteristic

Statistics:
Random walks, stirling’s approximation, moment generating functions, Fourier transform of probability distribution, central limit theorem, error function, least squares fitting, residuals, error analysis, Kolmogorov-Smirnov test

lizzie96' said:
Sorry- I would like to study some 2nd-year courses that I have the prerequisites for but not the time/credits to study next year, so I am looking for material at a fairly introductory level. There are no recommended books and the lecture notes are not made public, but these are some of the main topics included according to the course webpages:

Algebra:
Abstract vector spaces, linear transformations, multilinear algebra of determinants, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, fields, rings and modules, quotients, isomorphism theorems, Sylow theorems, Cayley-Hamilton theorem, inner product spaces, spectral theorem, Jordan normal form, Galois groups.

There are no (beginner) books which cover all of these. You'll have to focus on either linear algebra which covers:
Abstract vector spaces, linear transformations, multilinear algebra of determinants, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, Cayley-Hamilton theorem, inner product spaces, spectral theorem, Jordan normal form

or abstract algebra which covers:
fields, rings and modules, quotients, isomorphism theorems, Sylow theorems, Galois groups.

You can do either of those. For linear algebra, I recommend highly the (free) book by Treil: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
For abstract algebra, I recommend Anderson and Feil: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1584885157/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Geometry:
Curves in Euclidean space, Frenet-Serret frame, curvature and torsion, vector fields, differential forms, Poincare’s lemma, connection forms, structure equations, surfaces, isometries, geodesics on surfaces, integration of forms, Stoke’s theorem, Gauss-Bonnet theorem, Euler characteristic

What you want is (elementary) differential geometry. A good book is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/184882890X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Statistics:
Random walks, stirling’s approximation, moment generating functions, Fourier transform of probability distribution, central limit theorem, error function, least squares fitting, residuals, error analysis, Kolmogorov-Smirnov test

It's a bit difficult to recommend a book for all of these topics. I think the best probability books require measure theory, which you likely don't know yet. Nevertheless, I think you'll find the classical books by Feller very good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471257087/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Another good option would be the following online course: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/ It is extremely good, but it doesn't quite cover many topics you listed.

Likes lizzie96'
Thank you- that's really helpful!

Related to Maths textbooks for self-study

1. What level of math do these textbooks cover?

The level of math covered in self-study textbooks can vary. Some may cover basic math concepts such as algebra and geometry, while others may cover more advanced topics like calculus and statistics. It is important to carefully read the description of the textbook to determine its level.

2. Are these textbooks suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are many self-study textbooks designed for beginners. These textbooks often start with basic concepts and gradually build upon them, making them accessible for those new to the subject. Again, it is important to read the description of the textbook to determine its suitability for beginners.

3. Can I use these textbooks for exam preparation?

Yes, self-study textbooks can be a great resource for exam preparation. They provide a comprehensive review of the subject material and often include practice problems to test your understanding. However, it is always recommended to also use other resources, such as practice exams and study guides, to fully prepare for an exam.

4. Are there any interactive elements included in these textbooks?

Some self-study textbooks may include interactive elements such as online quizzes, video lessons, or practice problems with instant feedback. However, not all textbooks will have these features, so it is important to read the description or reviews of the textbook before purchasing.

5. Can I use these textbooks without any prior knowledge of math?

It is not recommended to use self-study textbooks without any prior knowledge of math. These textbooks are meant to supplement your understanding and cannot replace a teacher or instructor. It is important to have a basic understanding of math concepts before starting to use self-study textbooks.