Matrices and infinite solutions

In summary, the system of equations -8x + -7y = 7 and 16x + hy = 14 has infinitely many solutions if and only if h = 14. For any other value of h, the system will have a specific solution or no solution at all. This can be shown geometrically by analyzing the slope of the two lines, as well as algebraically using Cramer's method. The value of h = 14 results in two parallel lines, which will never intersect and therefore have an infinite number of solutions. For any other value of h, the lines will either intersect at one point or not at all, resulting in a specific solution or no solution, respectively.
Ipos Manger

Homework Statement

Find h so that:

-8x + -7y = 7
16x + hy = 14

has infinitely many solutions (solve this exercise with matrices).

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the system to matrix form, but when I try to convert it to echelon form, I get the following result:

-8x + -7y = 7
0x + (h - 14)y = 28

How can you proceed from that point? I know that the y coefficient shouldn't be 0, because then it would mean that the system has no solutions. However, the problem asks for a value of "h" in which the system has infinitely many solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ipos Manger said:

Homework Statement

Find h so that:

-8x + -7y = 7
16x + hy = 14

has infinitely many solutions (solve this exercise with matrices).

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the system to matrix form, but when I try to convert it to echelon form, I get the following result:

-8x + -7y = 7
0x + (h - 14)y = 28

How can you proceed from that point? I know that the y coefficient shouldn't be 0, because then it would mean that the system has no solutions. However, the problem asks for a value of "h" in which the system has infinitely many solutions.

Are you sure you copied the problem correctly? Geometrically, your system of equations represents two straight lines. If h = 14 in the original system, the system represents two parallel lines that don't intersect. For there to be an infinite number of solutions, the two equations have to be equivalent. In this case, each would have to be a nonzero multiple of the other. As you show the equations, this can't happen.

You need a fixed value of H in which case the 2 lines will always intersect.
Since it's a 2d world I would go about it showing a value of H in which case the 2 functions' ascension angle or whatever it's called is not the same.

I already know the tan of the ascension angle is the coefficient of the argument.

I would express both functions as Y and get:
y = (8/-7)x -1
y = (-16/H)x + 14/H

now all that's left is to show that (8/-7) =/= -16/H - I get that they are only equal if and only if H = 14. No matter what ever else H, except H=0, value will result in intersection or in other words will mean the system has a specific solution. Right now it seems to me the system is solveable unless H=14 or H=0.

For the system to have Infinite amount of solutions for 1 specific value of H means that the 2 lines are coinciding? (is that the word I'm looking for?) Coinciding is a special case of parallel, but I just showed the lines are parallel only if H=14. I drew the 2 graphs when H=14, they are not coinciding and they never will, which means there is no real value of H in which case the system has infinite number of solutions.

Disecting this with Cramer's method end up in a brickwall aswell, same story, coinciding is impossible and only parallel when H=14, but no real solutions for the system.

Last edited:

Related to Matrices and infinite solutions

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in science?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. In science, matrices are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to represent and solve systems of equations, transformations, and data analysis.

2. How can a matrix have infinite solutions?

A matrix can have infinite solutions when it represents a system of equations that has more variables than equations. This means that there are multiple combinations of values for the variables that satisfy the equations, hence resulting in infinite solutions.

3. What is the importance of understanding infinite solutions in matrices?

Understanding infinite solutions in matrices is crucial in solving real-world problems and making accurate predictions. In science, many systems can have more variables than equations, and being able to identify and handle infinite solutions allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of the problem at hand.

4. Can a matrix have no solutions?

Yes, a matrix can have no solutions when it represents a system of equations that is inconsistent. This means that the equations contradict each other and there is no combination of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously.

5. How can we determine the existence of infinite solutions in a matrix?

We can determine the existence of infinite solutions in a matrix by using Gaussian elimination to solve the system of equations represented by the matrix. If the reduced row echelon form of the matrix has at least one row of all zeroes, then there are infinite solutions. Additionally, if a row of the matrix is a scalar multiple of another row, then there are infinite solutions.