How Do You Solve Matrix Equations with a Calculator?

In summary, if it is a 3x3 matrix, then the equation has been solved, and if it is a scalar, then it is easy to verify that it is the correct answer.
KF33
Poster has been reminded to show their work on the problem in order to get our tutorial help

Homework Statement

upload_2018-6-4_10-18-44.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I would have to do something with my calculator and I tried to solve like solving an equation for C, but not sure. I put all the matrices in my calculator. I then subtracted the first matrix to the other side then multiplied by the inverse of the second. That got my out a 3x3 matrix, but not sure if that means that is the solution.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_10-18-44.png
    upload_2018-6-4_10-18-44.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the looks of it, ## C ## must be a 3x3 matrix.

KF33 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 226616

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I would have to do something with my calculator and I tried to solve like solving an equation for C, but not sure. I put all the matrices in my calculator. I then subtracted the first matrix to the other side then multiplied by the inverse of the second. That got my out a 3x3 matrix, but not sure if that means that is the solution.
That sounds like the correct thing to do. If you are unsure, put your answer in and see if it works.

Likes Entr0pic and scottdave
LCKurtz said:
If you are unsure, put your answer in and see if it works.
Substituting your answer in the original equation is a good idea in any case. As you progress in mathematics, some of the calculations get very involved, and there are lots opportunities to make small errors. Once you reach a solution, you can confirm that your answer is correct by substituting it in the problem. If you end up with two equal expressions, that's a strong indication that your solution is correct.

Likes scottdave
Charles Link said:
From the looks of it, ## C ## must be a 3x3 matrix.
Either it's a 3x3 matrix or a scalar. It should be easy to verify whether or not a scalar could be a possible solution.

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation that involves matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. The equation can be solved by manipulating the matrices using various operations.

2. How do I solve a matrix equation?

To solve a matrix equation, you need to first make sure that the matrices on both sides of the equation have the same dimensions. Then, you can use matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion to manipulate the matrices and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the different types of matrix equations?

There are three main types of matrix equations: linear equations, quadratic equations, and simultaneous equations. Linear equations involve matrices with only one variable, quadratic equations involve matrices with two variables, and simultaneous equations involve multiple equations with multiple variables.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a matrix equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a matrix equation. Most scientific and graphing calculators have functions for performing matrix operations, making it easier to solve complex equations. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles of matrix equations to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrix equations?

Matrix equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, which are used to model and analyze real-world systems such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and market trends.