Matter/antimatter collisons between "unlike" particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the annihilation of different types of particles, including proton/antiproton, electron/antielectron, and neutron/antineutron collisions. It is mentioned that a proton and an antineutron collision would result in the production of pions, with the symmetric annihilation producing an equal number of positive and negative pions. Other combinations of particles can lead to different outcomes, and it is noted that this topic has been discussed in previous threads.
Rob Stow
Just about everything I have read about antimatter talks about proton/antiproton, electron/antielectron, and neutron/antineutron annihilation.

But what happens if, for example, a proton and an antineutron collide? Would a weird nucleus be created or would there be a partial annihilation with some leftover quarks and antiquarks? Other outcomes? It is easy to imagine a simple process where the antineutron in a short-lived nucleus undergoes beta decay and the resulting antiproton annihilates the proton ... but does that HAVE to happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question gets asked frequently, and you should find various threads discussing it with the search function.

A proton and an antineutron would annihilate very similar to proton plus antiproton or neutron plus antineutron: They produce a few pions. Due to charge conservation, the symmetric annihilation produces as many positive as negative pions, while proton plus antineutron produces one positive pion more than negative pions.

Other combinations can lead to other results, or even no annihilation (e.g. antiprotons and electrons: they just repel each other electromagnetically, nothing else happens).

mfb said:
This question gets asked frequently, and you should find various threads discussing it with the search function.

A proton and an antineutron would annihilate very similar to proton plus antiproton or neutron plus antineutron: They produce a few pions. Due to charge conservation, the symmetric annihilation produces as many positive as negative pions, while proton plus antineutron produces one positive pion more than negative pions.

Other combinations can lead to other results, or even no annihilation (e.g. antiprotons and electrons: they just repel each other electromagnetically, nothing else happens).

Thanks for your reply. I finally have a day off to read up more on this and this time my search found those pre-existing threads on this topic ... no idea I could have bungled the search I did last week before starting this new thread. Maybe I'll get lucky and a moderator will just delete this thread?

Just let it stay as it is.

1. What is the difference between matter and antimatter?

Matter and antimatter are essentially the same, except for having opposite electrical charges. This means that they have the same mass, but opposite fundamental properties such as charge, spin, and magnetic moment.

2. How do matter/antimatter collisions occur?

Matter/antimatter collisions occur when a particle and its corresponding antiparticle come into contact and annihilate each other, producing energy in the form of photons.

3. What happens during a matter/antimatter collision?

During a matter/antimatter collision, the particles and antiparticles annhilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of photons. This energy can potentially be harnessed for various applications.

4. Can matter and antimatter coexist?

Matter and antimatter cannot coexist for an extended period of time in the same space. They will immediately annihilate each other upon contact, releasing energy in the form of photons.

5. What are the potential applications of matter/antimatter collisions?

Matter/antimatter collisions have the potential to be used as a source of energy in the form of highly efficient propulsion systems for space travel. They can also be used in medical applications, such as in positron emission tomography (PET) scans.