Matter & Space-Time: A Discussion

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of time travel and whether it is feasible for humans. The opposing individual argues that humans are made up of matter that is woven into the fabric of space-time, rendering time travel impossible. However, the speaker suggests that if we can create a wormhole and travel through it safely, we could potentially travel through both time and space. The concept of "traveling through time" is questioned and the speaker explains that it is more accurate to say "traveling through spacetime" as we are constantly moving along our worldline in the four-dimensional geometry. The possibility of closed timelike curves in spacetime and their physical feasibility is also discussed. In conclusion, the speaker suggests that the term "time
Immortal68
TL;DR Summary
A discussion regarding how matter behaves when it's part of something like the Space-Time continuum.
I was having a discussion with someone, regarding whether Time Travel was possible. The opposing individual argued that people are composed of matter that is simply woven into the fabric of space-time, therefore, rendering us unable to travel through time. I wasn't sure if he was right because I thought to myself that if we are part of a four-dimensional, space-time, then we'd still be able to traverse time. I mean assuming we knew how to create a wormhole and how to keep it open (say like with exotic matter) and we had a method of traveling through it safely, then we could travel through both time and space. With a wormhole we could have a passage to a different point in space-time. We'd still be part of the same space-time continuum after doing so.

But I don't have enough information regarding this matter and I wanted to hear more regarding the relation of matter and space-time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assassin101236 said:
The opposing individual argued that people are composed of matter that is simply woven into the fabric of space-time, therefore, rendering us unable to travel through time. I wasn't sure if he was right because I thought to myself that if we are part of a four-dimensional, space-time, then we'd still be able to traverse time.

Both you and the opposing individual are using the vague term "travel through time", which is not a good term.

Spacetime is a four-dimensional geometry. Individual observers have worldlines, which are curves in this four-dimensional geometry. Each instant of the observer's experienced time corresponds to a point on their worldline. As the observer's experienced time passes, you can think of the observer as "moving" along their worldline from points with earlier experienced times to points with later experienced times. This could be viewed as "traveling through spacetime" (not "traveling through time"), and if it is so viewed, it is unavoidable; you can't avoid traveling through spacetime because you can't avoid moving along your worldline from points with earlier experienced times to points with later experienced times.

There are mathematical solutions to the equations of General Relativity that contain closed timelike curves, which means possible worldlines for observers that are closed curves, so the observer can return to a point in spacetime multiple times, while their experienced time still continues to move "forward". Spacetimes with wormholes can have closed timelike curves in this way (though not all of them do). At least, that's what happens geometrically; whether it makes sense physically is another matter, and most physicists think it doesn't, i.e., that closed timelike curves cannot occur in our actual universe.

Assassin101236 said:
With a wormhole we could have a passage to a different point in space-time.

You are always passing to a different point in spacetime. That's what moving along your worldline means.

Actually, "time travel" would mean going back to the same point in spacetime multiple times (as the description of closed timelike curves above makes clear). But, as noted, most physicists believe this is not possible in our actual universe.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I finally found the great Tom Weller's "Fabric of Space-Time":

1591651843258.png

He's a genius.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I think you need to be a lot more clear and specific about what you are talking about. What does it mean to "traverse time" and how does it differ from our everyday experience of time, where we move along at one second per second.

Likes PAllen

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is the physical substance that makes up the universe, including all living and non-living things.

2. What is space-time?

Space-time is the four-dimensional framework in which all physical events occur. It combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time to create a unified concept of the fabric of the universe.

3. How are matter and space-time related?

Matter and space-time are intimately connected. Matter exists within the fabric of space-time and is affected by its curvature and distortions caused by the presence of mass and energy. At the same time, matter also affects the curvature of space-time through its mass and energy.

4. What is the significance of matter and space-time in the study of physics?

Matter and space-time are fundamental concepts in physics, as they form the basis of understanding the behavior of the universe. The laws of physics, such as gravity and relativity, are based on the interactions between matter and space-time.

5. How is the concept of space-time different from traditional notions of space and time?

The concept of space-time is different from traditional notions of space and time because it combines the dimensions of space and time into a single entity. This means that space and time are not separate and independent, but rather intertwined and inseparable. Additionally, space-time allows for the possibility of time dilation and the bending of space, which are not possible in traditional notions of space and time.