Max Height to Jump Without Breaking Leg Bones

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving calculating the maximum height a 75-kg person can jump without breaking their lower leg bone. The conversation also mentions ignoring air resistance and using conservation of energy, as well as providing helpful hints on how to set up the problem and solve for the height.
ussjt
Could someone help me set up this problem and give some helpful hints.

From what maxium height can a 75-kg person jump without breaking the lower leg bone on either leg? Ignore air resistance and assume the CM of the person moves a distance of .60m from standing to the seated position (that is, in breaking the fall). Assume the breaking strenght (force per unit area) of bone is 170 * 10^6 N/m square, and its smallest crosssectional area is 2.5 * 10^-4 m square.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried it yet?

Conservation of energy.

[tex]\int{Fds} = mgh[/tex]

no, because I need help with the set up for each section...I have been out for a couple days so I don't fully understand the problem. If I knew the equations for each step, I could take it from there.

I more or less gave it to you already.

You know the breaking stress, and the bone's area. Stress is force divided by area. ->solve for force.

You know the force and the distance that force can act on. You know the mass, you know gravity, solve for height.

Related to Max Height to Jump Without Breaking Leg Bones

1. What factors affect the maximum height a person can jump without breaking leg bones?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum height a person can jump without breaking leg bones. These include the person's age, physical fitness, bone density, and technique.

2. Can someone with stronger leg muscles jump higher without breaking their leg bones?

While stronger leg muscles can contribute to a higher jump, they do not necessarily prevent leg bone breakage. Other factors such as bone density and technique also play a role in determining the maximum safe height to jump.

3. Is there a specific height limit that guarantees no leg bone breakage?

There is no specific height limit that guarantees no leg bone breakage. The maximum safe height to jump without breaking leg bones varies for each individual based on their physical abilities and bone density.

4. How can I increase my maximum jumping height without risking leg bone breakage?

To increase your maximum jumping height without risking leg bone breakage, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and a balanced diet to improve muscle strength and bone density. Additionally, proper jumping technique and gradually increasing the height of your jumps can also help reduce the risk of leg bone breakage.

5. Are there any exercises that can specifically strengthen leg bones for higher jumps?

While there are no specific exercises that can solely strengthen leg bones for higher jumps, activities that involve weight-bearing exercises such as running, jumping, and weightlifting can help improve bone density and overall muscle strength, which can contribute to higher jumps without risking leg bone breakage.