Max Hill Steepness for a Cyclist: Solving the Problem

• Thread starter ndwiseguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill Max
In summary, the question is asking for the maximum steepness of a hill that a cyclist can climb, taking into account the cyclist's weight, bike mass, and wheel and pedal sizes. The conversation also mentions the efficiency of bicycles and the negligible impact of friction.
ndwiseguy
Ok now, i know it says that i should show the work I've done on the question. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. So here is the question:

Assume a cyclist of weight w can exert a force on the pedals equal to 0.90w on the average. If the pedals rotate in a circle of radius 18cm, the wheels have radius of 34cm, and the front and back sprockets on which the chain runs have 42 and 19 teeth, respectively, determine the maximum steepness of hill the cyclist can climb. Assume bike mass is 12kg and rider mass is 60 kg. Ignore friction.

If you could tell me where to start that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think you should do? What have you tried?

If you can figure out the force that the tire exerts on the ground, you're almost there.

You could cheat, and claim that w/o friction the bike can't make it up the hill. ;)

Last edited:
thank you very much

Bicycles are one of the most efficient machines known to humanity, so you can ignore friction as it amounts to be very little. A really good Bike can be ~95% to ~98% efficient (if I recall that one right) so the remaining 2% - 5 % is the friction part.

P.S. rarely will a back sprocket have an odd number of teeth (I've a friend with an eleven though) like 19, (cause it doesn't divide nicely into 360°) and the wheel radius are the wheel sizes in inches. A racing bike has 27 x 1 1/4 tires, so the wheel, when measured with a tape measure, will have a 27 inch diameter, 13.5 inch radius, and cheese, a "12 Kg" bike, WOW, heavy!

Related to Max Hill Steepness for a Cyclist: Solving the Problem

1. What is the maximum hill steepness that a cyclist can handle?

The maximum hill steepness that a cyclist can handle is subjective and varies from person to person. However, on average, most cyclists can handle a hill with a gradient of 10-15%. Anything above that may be challenging and require more effort and skill.

2. How do you calculate the maximum hill steepness for a cyclist?

The maximum hill steepness for a cyclist can be calculated by dividing the rise (vertical distance) of the hill by the run (horizontal distance). This will give you the gradient or percentage of the hill. For example, if a hill has a rise of 100 feet and a run of 500 feet, the gradient would be 20% (100/500 x 100).

3. What factors affect a cyclist's ability to handle steep hills?

Some factors that can affect a cyclist's ability to handle steep hills include their fitness level, bike weight, gear ratio, and cycling technique. The weight and fitness level of the cyclist will determine how much effort is needed to pedal up the hill, while the gear ratio will determine how easily the cyclist can turn the pedals. Proper technique, such as using the correct body position and maintaining a steady cadence, can also make a difference.

4. Can a cyclist improve their ability to handle steep hills?

Yes, a cyclist can improve their ability to handle steep hills through training and practice. Regular hill training, either through outdoor rides or on a stationary bike, can help build strength and endurance. Additionally, practicing proper cycling technique can also make a difference in how easily a cyclist can handle steep hills.

5. Are there any tips for tackling steep hills?

Yes, there are some tips for tackling steep hills. First, make sure to shift into an appropriate gear before reaching the hill. Maintaining a steady cadence and using proper technique, such as keeping your weight centered and your upper body relaxed, can also make it easier to pedal up the hill. It can also be helpful to break up the hill into smaller sections and give yourself short breaks between each section. Finally, staying hydrated and pacing yourself can help you successfully tackle steep hills.