Max Power of a Tesla SUV: Solving F(net)=F(app)-F(resistance)

• Thread starter physicslady123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Tesla
In summary, the total power output of the engine is equal to the applied force minus the resistance force, and this can be calculated using the equation P = ΔE/Δt. However, the incorrect answer may have been obtained due to not taking into account the resistance force. It is important to use the total force when calculating the power output of the engine, rather than just the force that produces a change in kinetic energy. Additionally, it should be noted that the question may be flawed as it does not specify if the acceleration is constant, which could affect the calculation of power.
physicslady123
Homework Statement
A New Tesla SUV with a mass of 1.5*10^3 kg starts from rest and accelerates to a speed of 100 km/h in 6s. Assume that the force of resistance remains constant at 600N during that time. Qhat is the average power delivered by the car's engine?
Relevant Equations
P=ΔE/Δt
W=Fd
F(net)=F(app)-F(resistance)
ma=F(app)-F(resistance)
(1.5*10^3)(16.67)=F(app)-600
25005=F(app)-600

P=ΔE/Δt
P=25005/6
P=4167.5 W

I got the incorrect answer (because I didn't take into account the resistance?). I am also confused about which Force value to use for the "E" value. Do I use the Force(applied) or the Force(net)?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicslady123 said:
I got the incorrect answer (because I didn't take into account the resistance?).
Of course. You calculated the engine power that would have been needed if there were no resistance, so the actual engine power must have been more.
physicslady123 said:
I am also confused about which Force value to use for the "E" value. Do I use the Force(applied) or the Force(net)?
You want the total power from the engine, not just the power that went into producing the change in KE.

Btw, the speed is given in km/h. Always keep track of units in your work.

Incidentally, I think there is a flaw in the question. It does not specify that acceleration is constant. You have assumed it is, and I believe you need to make some such assumption or there is insufficient information.
I'll check this, but I don’t have time right now.

Edit: have now confirmed my suspicion. E.g.

1 Suppose all the acceleration happens in the first fraction of a second, so it then travels at speed v for the rest of the time t.
Distance covered=vt
Work against friction =vtF
KE gain = ½mv2
Work done by engine= vtF+½mv2
Average power=##vF+\frac{mv^2}{2t}##

2. Suppose all the acceleration happens in the last fraction of a second. It spent most of the time t stationary.
Distance covered=0
Work against friction =0
KE gain = ½mv2
Work done by engine= ½mv2
Average power=##\frac{mv^2}{2t}##

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the maximum power of a Tesla SUV?

The maximum power of a Tesla SUV can vary depending on the model and specific conditions, but on average, it can reach up to 1,020 horsepower.

2. How is the maximum power of a Tesla SUV calculated?

The maximum power of a Tesla SUV is calculated using the formula F(net) = F(app) - F(resistance), where F(net) represents the net force, F(app) represents the applied force, and F(resistance) represents the resistance force.

3. What is net force in relation to the maximum power of a Tesla SUV?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, which includes both the applied force and the resistance force. In terms of the maximum power of a Tesla SUV, the net force represents the amount of power that can be generated to move the vehicle forward.

4. What factors affect the maximum power of a Tesla SUV?

The maximum power of a Tesla SUV can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the vehicle, road conditions, and weather conditions. The type of terrain and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling can also impact the maximum power.

5. Can the maximum power of a Tesla SUV be increased?

Yes, the maximum power of a Tesla SUV can be increased by optimizing the design and materials used in the vehicle, as well as implementing more efficient battery technology. Additionally, regular maintenance and updates can also help improve the vehicle's maximum power.