Max reaction force - ferris wheel

In summary, the maximum reaction force exerted by a seat on the passenger of a ferris wheel occurs at the bottom of the wheel, where the net force (sum of the gravitational force and the force from the seat) is pointing upward. This can be determined by using Newton's second law, which states that the vector sum of all forces on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. By solving for the amplitude of the force from the seat, it can be seen that it is largest when the net force is also pointing upward, which occurs at the bottom of the wheel.
krbs

Homework Statement

What is the maximum reaction force exerted by a seat on the passenger of a ferris wheel? There's a diagram showing the seat at 6 o'clock, 12, 3, and 4:30... on a 12 hour clock.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the reaction force is the normal force exerted by the chair. It's not the top position because the chair is also falling. Maybe it's highest at the 3 o clock position because the bottom of the chair is counteracting gravity and the back of the chair is providing the centripetal force.

(This is a textbook question, not homework.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The ferris wheel seats can be assumed to all be at some radius r and the ferris wheel can be assumed to be rotating at a constant rate so that each seat is moving at velocity v tangent to the wheel. Did you know that the acceleration that occurs in doing circular motion is ## a=v^2/r ## and points to the center of the circle? Meanwhile, gravity always has a downward force on a passenger of mass ## m ## equal to ## F_g=mg ## regardless of any motion that occurs. The only other force on the passenger is from the seat. What does Newton's 2nd law tell you about the vector sum of all the forces on an object? From this, you should be able to come up with the solution.

Charles Link said:
The ferris wheel seats can be assumed to all be at some radius r and the ferris wheel can be assumed to be rotating at a constant rate so that each seat is moving at velocity v tangent to the wheel. Did you know that the acceleration that occurs in doing circular motion is ## a=v^2/r ## and points to the center of the circle? Meanwhile, gravity always has a downward force on a passenger of mass ## m ## equal to ## F_g=mg ## regardless of any motion that occurs. The only other force on the passenger is from the seat. What does Newton's 2nd law tell you about the vector sum of all the forces on an object? From this, you should be able to come up with the solution.

Yeah, I'm trying to use all this info, but I can't come up with a solution =
Charles Link said:

If velocity, radius, and mass are constant then acceleration and centripetal force must be as well?

Would it be the 4:30 position because the net force is pointing at an angle to the centre of the circle, gravity's pointing downward, so the final vector has to be between the gravity and the net force. It's the longest vector?

Unless... at the bottom of the loop, is the Normal force greater than mg? Then the reactive force would be highest there...

The vector sum of the gravitational force plus the force from the seat must equal ## m \vec{a} ##. ## \\ ## i.e. ## \vec{F}_g +\vec{F}_{seat}=m \vec{a} ##. ## \\ ## ## \vec{a} ## is constant in amplitude but always points to the center of the ferris wheel. Solve the equation for ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## and try to determine the location for which ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## is largest. It may help to use a diagram with arrows for ## m \vec{a} ## and ## \vec{F}_g ##. ## \\ ## And here is a simple hint: use an upward arrow for the quantity(vector) ## - \vec{F}_g ##.

Charles Link said:
The vector sum of the gravitational force plus the force from the seat must equal ## m \vec{a} ##. ## \\ ## i.e. ## \vec{F}_g +\vec{F}_{seat}=m \vec{a} ##. ## \\ ## ## \vec{a} ## is constant in amplitude but always points to the center of the ferris wheel. Solve the equation for ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## and try to determine the location for which ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## is largest. It may help to use a diagram with arrows for ## m \vec{a} ## and ## \vec{F}_g ##. ## \\ ## And here is a simple hint: use an upward arrow for the quantity(vector) ## - \vec{F}_g ##.
I just don't get it.

At the top: Fnet = mg - N; N = mg - Fnet
Bottom: Fnet = N - mg; N = Fnet + mg
3 o' clock: Fnetx = Nsin(theta); Fnety = mg - Ncos(theta) ?
4:30: same as above, different angles??

There are no given values. So how do I determine the answer just from this?

krbs said:
I just don't get it.

At the top: Fnet = mg - N; N = mg - Fnet
Bottom: Fnet = N - mg; N = Fnet + mg
3 o' clock: Fnetx = Nsin(theta); Fnety = mg - Ncos(theta) ?
4:30: same as above, different angles??

There are no given values. So how do I determine the answer just from this?
If you solve for ## \vec{F}_{seat} ##, you get ## \vec{F}_{seat}=-\vec{F}_g+m \vec{a} ##. The vector ## -\vec{F}_g ## points upward. Only at the bottom does ## m \vec{a} ## also point upward. Alternatively, you could solve for the amplitude of ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## by using the law of cosines(and finding the angle for which you get a maximum), but just drawing a few vector arrows should give you the answer.

Charles Link said:
If you solve for ## \vec{F}_{seat} ##, you get ## \vec{F}_{seat}=-\vec{F}_g+m \vec{a} ##. The vector ## -\vec{F}_g ## points upward. Only at the bottom does ## m \vec{a} ## also point upward. Alternatively, you could solve for the amplitude of ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## by using the law of cosines(and finding the angle for which you get a maximum), but just drawing a few vector arrows should give you the answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 414
If the ferris wheel is not moving, there is no centripetal acceleration so ## m \vec{a}=0 ##. That makes ## \vec{F}_{seat}=-\vec{F}_g ## at all locations. You should be able to add the vector ## m \vec{a} ## to ## -\vec{F}_g ## to get the result for ## \vec{F}_{seat} ##. All it requires is to add a couple of arrows together head to tail and connecting them.

Hi, the question says the person is riding the Ferris wheel so I assume Fnet is not zero.

IMG_1481564592.748179.jpg

It would appear that Fseat is biggest at 4:30. Do I finally have a solution?? [emoji102]

You need to make the ## \vec{F}_g =mg ## and ## \vec{F}_{net}=m \vec{a} ## vector arrows the same length in each diagram. Normally, the ## \vec{F}_g ## arrow will be considerably longer than the ## \vec{F}_{net} ## arrow, because a ferris wheel is not a ride that has strong acceleration (g) forces. As the ## m \vec{a} ## changes direction, if you measure the length of the resultant vector ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## carefully, you should be able to get the correct answer. The law of cosines will get you the precise answer perhaps more readily, because the cosine function result doesn't change much from the 4:30 or 7:30 position to the answer that you get at the bottom. The law of cosines reads ## c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab cos(\theta') ## where ## \theta'=180-\theta ##. (Don't know if you have seen law of cosines in a trigonometry class). In any case ## c=F_{seat} ## peaks at ## \theta=0 ## which is at the bottom.

Charles Link said:
You need to make the ## \vec{F}_g =mg ## and ## \vec{F}_{net}=m \vec{a} ## vector arrows the same length in each diagram. Normally, the ## \vec{F}_g ## arrow will be considerably longer than the ## \vec{F}_{net} ## arrow, because a ferris wheel is not a ride that has strong acceleration (g) forces. As the ## m \vec{a} ## changes direction, if you measure the length of the resultant vector ## \vec{F}_{seat} ## carefully, you should be able to get the correct answer. The law of cosines will get you the precise answer perhaps more readily, because the cosine function result doesn't change much from the 4:30 or 7:30 position to the answer that you get at the bottom. The law of cosines reads ## c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab cos(\theta') ## where ## \theta'=180-\theta ##. (Don't know if you have seen law of cosines in a trigonometry class). In any case ## c=F_{seat} ## peaks at ## \theta=0 ## which is at the bottom.
Hi again, I looked at my diagrams and noticed a lot of the mistakes >.> Fnet has constant magnitude so the vector should always be the same length. Same with gravity.

Here's my thinking:
At the top of the circle, N is smaller than mg, if not zero.
At the right, mg doesn't even contribute to the Fc because it's perpindicular to the centripetal force. So N = Fnet.
At 4:30, mg affects Fc more so N has to be a little larger to compensate. But gravity is still not counteracting Fc as much as it could...
At the bottom of the loop, though, N has to entirely overcome gravity to make Fc point centripetally. N > mg and Fc combined. That means the force from the seat must be biggest there.

For the law of cosines, would I need actual values* to solve?

Likes Charles Link
krbs said:
Hi again, I looked at my diagrams and noticed a lot of the mistakes >.> Fnet has constant magnitude so the vector should always be the same length. Same with gravity.

Here's my thinking:
At the top of the circle, N is smaller than mg, if not zero.
At the right, mg doesn't even contribute to the Fc because it's perpindicular to the centripetal force. So N = Fnet.
At 4:30, mg affects Fc more so N has to be a little larger to compensate. But gravity is still not counteracting Fc as much as it could...
At the bottom of the loop, though, N has to entirely overcome gravity to make Fc point centripetally. N > mg and Fc combined. That means the force from the seat must be biggest there.

For the law of cosines, would I need actual values* to solve?
Very Good ! For the law of cosines, ## A=mg ## and ## B=ma ## (where ## a=v^2/r ##). ## C^2=A^2+B^2-2AB \cos(\theta') ##. As the ferris wheel turns, the side ## B ## changes direction and ## \theta' ## takes on different values. ## C=F_{seat} ## and ## C^2 ## is maximum for ## \theta'=180 \, degrees ## , since ## cos(180)=-1 ##. This makes ## C^2=A^2+B^2+2AB =(A+B)^2 ## so that ## C=A+B ## which is the result from your diagrams. I don't know how to draw diagrams on this website, but the ## \theta'=180 ## is the angle in the vector triangle when the passenger is at the bottom of the ferris wheel.

Likes krbs
Charles Link said:
Very Good ! For the law of cosines, ## A=mg ## and ## B=ma ## (where ## a=v^2/r ##). ## C^2=A^2+B^2-2AB \cos(\theta') ##. As the ferris wheel turns, the side ## B ## changes direction and ## \theta' ## takes on different values. ## C=F_{seat} ## and ## C^2 ## is maximum for ## \theta'=180 \, degrees ## , since ## cos(180)=-1 ##. This makes ## C^2=A^2+B^2+2AB =(A+B)^2 ## so that ## C=A+B ## which is the result from your diagrams. I don't know how to draw diagrams on this website, but the ## \theta'=180 ## is the angle in the vector triangle when the passenger is at the bottom of the ferris wheel.
Ohhh that's so clever! I worked it out to myself on paper, makes sense. Thank you for all your help! :)*

Likes Charles Link

What is the maximum reaction force on a ferris wheel?

The maximum reaction force on a ferris wheel is the force exerted by the wheel's structure on the riders at the highest point of the wheel's rotation. It is equal to the sum of the weight of the riders and the weight of the wheel itself.

How is the maximum reaction force calculated?

The maximum reaction force is calculated using the principles of statics and Newton's second law of motion. It can be calculated by summing the forces acting on the riders and the wheel and setting it equal to the product of the mass and acceleration of the system.

What factors affect the maximum reaction force on a ferris wheel?

The maximum reaction force on a ferris wheel can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the riders, the weight and design of the wheel, the speed of rotation, and the radius of the wheel. Other external factors like wind and temperature can also affect the maximum reaction force.

How does the maximum reaction force affect the design of a ferris wheel?

The maximum reaction force plays a crucial role in the design of a ferris wheel. It determines the strength and stability of the wheel's structure and helps engineers determine the necessary materials and dimensions needed for the wheel to safely support the weight of the riders.

What measures are taken to ensure the safety of riders in regards to the maximum reaction force?

Ferris wheel designers and engineers must adhere to strict safety guidelines and regulations to ensure the safety of riders. This includes conducting thorough structural and mechanical analyses to determine the maximum reaction force and designing the wheel accordingly. Regular inspections and maintenance also play a key role in ensuring the safety of riders.