Maxima and minima and finding the radius of the circle

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum value of θ in a given equation without using the law of cosines. The solution involves finding the center and radius of a circle and using the central angle theorem to optimize the value of θ. This method may require more algebra but is a viable alternative to using the law of cosines.
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

Find where θ is the biggest (largest) I'll have the picture of the problem included below (pic:1)
20160314_152002.jpg

Homework Equations

(x-q)2+(y+5/2)2=r2
answer x= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, so my prefesor gave me this problem and told me to try to solve it. We already did this problem in school and got the answer that x=2.
The trick here is that I am not allowed to use:
the law of cosines
20160314_152101.jpg

therefore I have tried to circumscribe a circle and found out that the center is located at
S(n,5/2)
and
T1=(0,4)
T2=(0,1)
I would now like to know if you guys could help me calculate the perimeter or alternatively if you guys could tell me about some other way to calculate x or θ
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
One way (depending on your trigonometric and calculus skills) would be to see that ##\theta = \theta_1 - \theta_2## with ##\tan\theta_1 = {4\over x} ## and ##\tan\theta_2 = {1\over x} ##. And, since ##0 < \theta<{\pi\over 2}##, ##\ \ \ \theta = {\rm max} ## if ##\tan\theta = \rm max##

Likes Matejxx1
Thanks for the answer.
That was the way we did it in the classroom. And the professor also mentioned that this could be solved using the law of cosine. However he asked me if I could find a way to calculate x or θ without using this two ways. I have been trying to do this for about 30 min and I am starting to doubt if this is even possible

You can employ the central angle theorem. But in order to do this, you have to find the correct center of the circle you have constructed on your calculation. The y coordinate can be easily seen to be 5/2, this leaves you the x coordinate of the center. Having found both the coordinate of the circle's center and its radius, you can use the central angle to do the optimization. This method requires a bit more of algebra though.

Likes Matejxx1
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the help.

1. What is a maximum and minimum value in mathematics?

A maximum value is the highest possible value that a function or variable can reach within a given set of data. A minimum value is the lowest possible value that a function or variable can reach within a given set of data. In other words, they are the extreme points on a graph or curve.

2. How do you find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

To find the maximum and minimum values of a function, you can use calculus techniques such as taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero, or graphing the function and identifying the highest and lowest points. Alternatively, you can use algebraic methods such as completing the square or factoring.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum and minimum values of a function?

Finding the maximum and minimum values of a function can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help determine the optimal solution for a given problem, as well as identify critical points and inflection points on a curve.

4. How does finding the radius of a circle relate to maximum and minimum values?

The radius of a circle is related to maximum and minimum values through the concept of the derivative. The radius of a circle is the distance from the center to any point on the circle, which can be represented by a function. By finding the maximum or minimum value of this function, we can determine the radius of the circle.

5. Can you give an example of finding the maximum or minimum value of a function and how it relates to a real-world application?

One example is finding the maximum profit for a business by determining the maximum value of the profit function. This can help the business make decisions on pricing and production to maximize their profits. Another example is finding the minimum cost for a construction project by determining the minimum value of the cost function, which can help in planning and budgeting for the project.