Maximize F with Maxima Problem: Constraints & Prove

• Thread starter NaturePaper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxima
In summary, the conversation discusses a complex function F with three fixed complex numbers z_i and constraints 0\le\alpha_i\le\pi,~0\le\theta_i\le\pi/2. The goal is to find the maximum value of F, which is bounded by 1. The speaker notes that they have been unable to find a common phase to maximize |F| and wonders if setting \theta_1=\theta_2 and \alpha_1=\alpha_2 will achieve the maximum value. The precise questions are whether these conditions are necessary and how they can be proven.
NaturePaper
Let

[tex]
F=z_1\cos\theta_1\cos\theta_2+z_2(e^{i\alpha_1}\sin\theta_1\cos\theta_2+e^{i\alpha_2}\cos\theta_1\sin\theta_2)+z_3e^{i(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)}\sin\theta_1\sin\theta_2
[/tex]

where [tex] 0\le\alpha_i\le\pi,~0\le\theta_i\le\pi/2 [/tex] and [tex] z_i[/tex]
are some fixed complex numbers.

Then how to find
[tex]\max_{\theta_i, \alpha_i}|F|[/tex]

We note that [tex]|F|\le1[/tex].

Particularly, I want to know if there is any set of constraints like the case of optimization over real variables. [I know definitely that the conditions are [tex] \theta_1=\theta_2; \alpha_1=\alpha_2[/tex]. But I have to establish it. So, how to prove it?]

Physics news on Phys.org
NaturePaper said:
Let
We note that [tex]|F|\le1[/tex].
Particularly, I want to know if there is any set of constraints like the case of optimization over real variables. [I know definitely that the conditions are [tex] \theta_1=\theta_2; \alpha_1=\alpha_2[/tex]. But I have to establish it. So, how to prove it?]

Some corrections, [tex]|F|\le1[/tex]
should be [tex]|F|\le N \mbox{ i.e., $|F|$ is bounded}[/tex].

I was trying to use the observation

[tex]\max|\sum z_i|=\sum|z_i|[/tex]
occurs iff [tex]z_i[/tex]s have equal argument. But for my case, since [tex]z_i[/tex]s
are arbitrary, I can't drive out some common phase to get the maximum as [tex]\sum|z_i|[/tex]. So. for generic [tex]z_i,~~|F|[/tex] should depend on [tex]\alpha_i[/tex]s.

In light of these observations, my precise questions are:

1. Can we choose [tex] \theta_1=\theta_2[/tex] to get max|F|?
2. Can we choose [tex] \alpha_1=\alpha_2[/tex] too ?
3. Is the conditions 1. and 2. are necessary to get |F|?
4. How?

Related to Maximize F with Maxima Problem: Constraints & Prove

1. What is the objective of the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem?

The objective of the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem is to find the maximum value of the function F, subject to certain constraints. This is known as an optimization problem, where the goal is to find the best possible solution among all possible options.

2. What are constraints in the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem?

Constraints in the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem refer to the limitations or restrictions on the variables that affect the value of the objective function F. These constraints can be in the form of equations or inequalities and are used to narrow down the possible solutions of the problem.

3. How is Maxima used to solve the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem?

Maxima is a computer algebra system that is used to manipulate mathematical equations and perform various numerical calculations. In the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem, Maxima can be used to set up the objective function and constraints, and then solve for the maximum value of F using various optimization algorithms.

4. Can the solution to the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem be proven?

Yes, the solution to the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem can be proven by using mathematical techniques such as calculus and linear algebra. These techniques can help to verify that the solution satisfies all the constraints and is indeed the maximum value of F.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem?

Yes, the "Maximize F with Maxima" problem has numerous real-world applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and operations research. It can be used to optimize resource allocation, minimize costs, and maximize profits in various industries and businesses.